does the metaphor "to immerse yourself in something" exist in any Slavic language?

edited March 19 in Languages
For example, "she immersed herself in a good book" or "the student immersed himself in studies".  I know in Polish no such metaphor exists, and if you were to create one, it would sound sort of odd.  I'm wondering if anything like this exists in another Slavic language.  

I am writing a fantasy style novel about an ancient Slavic tribe, and one of my characters will be named Noribor.  I really like the combination of letters "nori" as it has a very old "foresty" feel to it.  The proto Slavic word *noriti means "to immerse" or "to submerge", so the name Noribor  would need to employ this English (or perhaps even modern American) metaphor.  It would mean "he who immerses himself in battle". 

What do you guys think?

Comments

• In Slovak there is vnoriť/ponoriť.

Ponoril sa do hlbokého spánku.
    He immersed himself in deep sleep.

Študent sa ponoril do študovania.
    The student immersed himself in studying.

I don't know how it sounds for you. :D
  • Do you want examples where the local word for "submerge" is also used in an immersive meaning? Or you don't mind also all the other ways to translate "immerse" (f.e. in Bulgarian these would be поглъщам/swallow up, увличам/carry away, заравям/bury, затрупвам/stack up, дълбая/задълбочавам/dig)? Of course, perhaps thanks to the globalization or whatnot, probably many languages have acquired this and many other English idioms. So, in the former case (a word which literally means "submerge", but is also used as "immerse"), the Bulgarian example would be потапям - f.e. Потопи се в атмосферата на Средновековието / Immerse yourself in the atmosphere of the Middle Ages! It's useful mostly in such atmospheric contexts though - immersing yourself in studies or books f.e. would be "to dig up" (задълбавам (се) в уроците/книгите).
  • edited March 20
    Interesting, thanks for the responses.  I just realized there is a metaphoric use in Polish as well.  "Zanurzyć się" which could be taken literally as in "zanurzyć się we wodzie" (to submerge oneself in water) or metaphorically "zanurzyć się w treści książki" (to immerse yourself in a good book).  I cannot believe I overlooked this one (it does make sense, contrary to my original post).  But the question remains, is it genuinely ours or is it something we borrowed?  Or, if we did borrow it, could we have come up with a similar metaphor on our own? 
  • @Nasięgniew Well, it looks like the word that I mentioned earlier, ponoriť, just with a different prefix.
  • Had to learn that one thanks to google translate.... In MKD it would be:

"Da uživajte vo..."
  • edited March 20
    Pahruzicca is the Belarusian term for immerse. Stem of the word is hruz - n. load.
    Pahruzicca ŭ mužčynski sviet časoŭ Pana Tadevuša - To immerse yourself in the world of men of Pan Tadeusz time.
    Pahlybicca ŭ rozdum. Leterary - to go deep in a thought. Can also be translated as to immerse in a thought.
  • In Serbian: "udubiti se u nešto" - like deepen, or dive in something...