Religion question - number 7 in Christianity and Slavic Paganism (Rodnovery)?

edited April 20 in General Discussion
According to the Pixies: If man is five...Then the devil is six...Then God is seven, then God is seven, the God is seven..."
This is also the basic Christian believe, I guess.
How would these numbers trade with the old Slavs?

Comments

• Usually in Christian symbolism/mythology, 6 is the number of man. 7 is indeed the divine number, but so is 3. And, of course, in the early church 4 also had a particular importance, hence why four gospels were chosen.
  • edited April 18
    I doubt if Slavs before christianisation had any particular thoughts on numbers.
  • What was the importance of 4?
  • @GaiusCoriolanus

>I doubt if Slavs before christianisation had any particular thoughts on numbers.

The terms for numbers Slavs use have Indo-European origins commonly found in Germanic and Iranic languages. So, Slavs have a notion of numbers. Think of the days of the week in Slavic languages.
  • @Sviatogor

This is not what I meant.
  • @GaiusCoriolanus

Explain what you meant.
  • "I doubt if Slavs before christianisation had any particular thoughts on numbers." <- particular thoughts means seeking any magical meaning in numbers.
  • @aaaaa Mostly stemming from the most obvious - the four directions of the world etc. Irenaeus of Lyons is often cited as the one who solidified the four final gospels, because...
    "The Gospels could not possibly be either more or less in number than they are. Since there are four zones of the world in which we live, and four principal winds, while the Church is spread over all the earth, and the pillar and foundation of the Church is the gospel, and the Spirit of life, it fittingly has four pillars, everywhere breathing out incorruption and revivifying men. From this it is clear that the Word, the artificer of all things, being manifested to men gave us the gospel, fourfold in form but held together by one Spirit. As David said, when asking for his coming, 'O sitter upon the cherubim, show yourself '. For the cherubim have four faces, and their faces are images of the activity of the Son of God... Now the Gospels, in which Christ is enthroned, are like these.
    ... As is the activity of the Son of God, such is the form of the living creatures; and as is the form of the living creatures, such is also the character of the Gospel. For the living creatures were quadriform, and the gospel and the activity of the Lord is fourfold. Therefore four general covenants were given to mankind: one was that of Noah's deluge, by the [rain] bow; the second was Abraham's, by the sign of circumcision; the third was the giving of the Law by Moses; and the fourth is that of the Gospel, through our Lord Jesus Christ."
  • Probably not so much the reason for, but the justification for their choice of 4 gospels, that quote.