Slavdom – Do you ever wonder what makes people Slavic? Or what is that trait that will definitely make your family stand out as different to maybe some others like let’s say German, Indian, Mexican or Chinese family? We have a lots of those little things that all Slavs see present in their family or among their other Slavic friends. That’s exactly what makes us Slavic, that good old “Slav” mentality. So what you are about to see is just some of those things that Slavs do when they find themselves in colonial lands such as USA, Canada, Australia.
At one point in life they suddenly acknowledge how their family is very different from all those other cultures. So let us take a look at why Slavs are so different.
1.You had to share a room until you were 27.
2.Everything you eat is savored in garlic and onions.
3.You are standing next to the two largest suitcases at the airport.
4.You arrive one or two hours late to a party – and think its normal.
5. When you get at your Babushka’s house, you can only drink Kompot
6. You had tablecloth on TV by default
7.Your mom tells you you’re too skinny even though your 30 pounds overweight.
8.Your house is full of medicine from your old country and it’s probably all illegal here.
9. You received a lot of “branded” products from your Babushka
10.You don’t know how to use a dishwasher because u are the dishwasher.
11.You have a vinyl tablecloth on your kitchen table (or TV).
12.You use grocery bags to hold garbage.
13.Your dad ever butchered a pig or lamb.
14.You don’t use measuring cups when cooking.
15.If you don’t live at home, when your parents call, they ask if you’ve eaten, even if it’s midnight.
16.Your parents don’t realize phone connections to foreign countries have improved in the last two decades, and still scream at the top of their lungs when making foreign calls.
17. It’s “normal” if your wedding has 600 people.
18.Your 15 year old sister can out-drink any American guy.
19.You drive a nicer car than your parents.
20.Your dad carries around enough money to buy a car.
21.You have all brand new appliances in your kitchen but your mom cooks in the basement with the stove from your old house.
22.Your parents have gone on vacation ONCE and it was to your home country.
23.You base your whole life on the fortune in your coffee cup.
24.Your parents still prefer to buy cassettes instead of CDs.
25. Your non-english speaking grandmother gives a shocked looked when you say ‘pizza’.
26. You wear french connection and other designer clothing when going to work out
27. You carry liquor back here from your country in plastic sprite bottles under tons of clothing in the suitcase
28. You have 17 consonants and 2 vowels in your last name.
29.You’re actually nodding and laughing at most of these things.
30.Your grandmother says “propuh” (draught) kills.
Other articles about Slavs that you might like:
- Top widely believed myths about Slavs
- Which Slavic group do you really fit in?
- Who taught Slavs to write?
- How do Slavs look like?
- 10 Most tasty Slavic dishes
- Most popular tales from Slavic mythology