How patriotic is your country?

Slovaks are not the most patriotic people , they love their country but if you ask a guy on the street what he thinks of his country he will usually say it's crap and he wouldn't recommend living there. But it's all nonsense I love Slovakia and think it's a beautiful country with a lot to offer. I'm very proud to be a Slovak citizen and will always defend Slovakia. How proud are you and most people of your country?

The top 5 most patriotic and proud Slavic countries in my opinion are.

1.serbia
2. Ukraine( because of a recent surge in nationalism.)
3. Russia
4poland.
5.croatia

Slovakia would be all the way at the bottom right now in my opinion but I hope the young generation will completely change and be super patriotic. 

Comments

• Serbia patriotic? :D
  • Serbia is the most patriotic Slavic country I know. I've never met serbs who aren't proud to be Serbian , they dominate all Slavic forums usually because if their patriotism. Everyone knows a real Serb is a patriot. 
  • edited May 18
    @srdceleva I don't think you know Slovak mentality well enough. Yes, we tell strangers that our country is not the best place for them because of lower income, corruption and stuff like that, because it's true. But say something bad about our country and you're dead on the spot. :D
    By the way I'm confused about your citizenship. Do you have the dual citizenship? Because I didn't notice when (or if) our government changed the law. There was a law that didn't allow dual citizenship. :o
  • @Kapitán Denis 

Actually I know the Slovak pretty well. Slovaks deep down are very proud of their country but many are embarrassed to say anything positive about it because they think to foreigners they will sound silly, so they usually just talk negative about it. Younger generation is becoming better. When my family moved back to Slovakia when I was five, my dad gave an interview to a newspaper saying America was ok but not heaven and that Slovakia was a great country and many of his friends were legitimately pissed at him telling him cow crappy Slovakia is and how he was crazy for coming back. The new generation isnt like this, but still not that proud compared to Serbians or poles. Poles I know are very proud of Poland Slovaks aren't like this. 

I was born with Slovak citizenship, that law only applies to Slovaks applying for another citizenship outside of their own.
  • Poles often complain, on everything. On Poland too. But it's natural. I guess it can be said that Poles are patriotic, many are. But also many aren't.
  • @GaiusCoriolanus ;

I know a lot of poles in Vienna. My best friends girl is Polish and I know many others. They all are very proud of Poland, among my friends we get sick if how often they talk about Polish history and how poles did this and did that. My previous girl friend was Polish, she wasn't a big patriot but still if Poland ever came up she always would speak positive about Poland. 
  • @srdceleva
    Serbs outside Serbia often act differently than those of us in Serbia. I don't doubt their patriotism as they might be more patriotic than Serbs in Serbia.
  • @srdceleva, history is another case. By complaining on Poland I meant common things, like roads, politicians, taxes, health care etc. But even about history Poles can be ignorant. 

Many people claim to be patriots, however I am not sure if they actually think about it. If someone claims to be a patriot, it's good to ask him/her to recite 4th part of Polish national anthem, ask how much they care about politics in every day life, how many patriotic songs they know, and in which years partitions of Poland took place. And ask if they have a Polish flag without huge word "Polska" on it and without names of their town/city/village written by permanent marker, and if they hang it outside on national holidays. If that person looks terrified then his/her patriotism is simply a repeated slogan, something similar to being a brave defender of Catholic faith without having any knowledge about what's written in the Bible. 

Yeah, we have a lot of that kind of patriots. :)
  • Iwould say patriotism hides in your feelings, not in your words.
  • @GaiusCoriolanus yes but even if it's superficial it's a part of the culture in Poland. This isn't the case in some countries for example in Austria no one is like this. They don't want to be labeled Nazis. 

@Kapitán Denis 
    I agree but what many easter countries don't understand is that the west doesn't respect people who aren't patriotic, if u aren't patriotic Americans think u don't respect your country and then they don't respect it either or you. Americans actually like it when people are proud of their country and background. Not that it's important what Americans think but I want Slovaks to be more outspoken because they have a great country, and by being confident about their place in the world they will get more respect as a nation. 
  • Yea, but what western countries don't understand is that we don't care about their respect. :D We love our countries our own way. :)
  • Yea but the problem is they have the power and unless you show some strength they walk all over you, Russia doesn't take this and though the west is pissed at Russians in a way they still respect them, but I wouldn't want Slovaks to be patriotic like Americans just to take pride in their country and themselves more openly. 
  • > as they might be more patriotic than Serbs in Serbia.

Expats tend to romanticize their country of origin because it's unreachable. It works for most things, with notable exceptions like ex-wives and such.
  • @aaaaa

Bottom line - yes. For some it has to do with inability to adapt to their new environment, others just whine for "good old times" of their youth, younger generations who were born and raised in Western Europe or USA because they have more fun in the land of their ancestors, and so on and on...
  • I reckon Greeks are more patriotic than the Southern Slavs.  I wonder if it stems from the schooling.
  • edited May 19
    Balkaners generally aren't patriotic, but rather nationalistic instead. It's not so much that we love our own countries, but more that we hate our neighbours (while falling for all kinds of fairy-tales about our supposed "suppressed" glory). Well, at least when we're not going on vacation there, or enjoying their music and cuisine etc...
  • We sing this song in church. It always makes my heart swell with patriotism for America. Otherwise, I burn sparklers on the 4th of July.

Battle-Hymn of the Republic

by Julia Ward Howe

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord
    He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored,
    He has loosed the fateful lightening of His terrible swift sword 
    His truth is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! 

I have seen Him in the watch-fires of a hundred circling camps 
    They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps 
    I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps 
    His day is marching on. 

I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnish`d rows of steel, 
    "As ye deal with my contemners, So with you my grace shall deal;" 
    Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel 
    Since God is marching on. 

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat 
    He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment-seat 
    Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet! 
    Our God is marching on.

• For Ukraine. Slava Ukraini! Смерть Путину!

• edited May 19
    Ive been to many sporting events with Serbians there and they were always one of the loudest and most supportive of their country. Famous Serbian athletes are also always very patriotic. Novak Djokovic constantly talks about Serbia and how proud he is of it. When my older brother went as an athlete with the Slovak national team to the European games in Boku he said the Serbian athletes got on his nerves because of how much they were always shouting Serbia everywhere. You don't always have to be a nationalist to be a patriot but all nationalists are patriotic defacto. 
  • @srdceleva
    That's true. Serbs have sports culture. If you ever plan to go to Euroleague game in Belgrade let me know, perhaps I could find you free ticket (of course if you are into it).