Schleicher's Fable in Old Croatian language

I am interested in how would Schleicher's Fable look like in the Old Croatian language used in inscriptions like Baška tablet, Valun tablet, Fragmenta Vindobonensia, and other similar texts from around 11th century AD. Can someone, please, try to reconstruct it?

Comments

• edited August 14
    I'm able to use Glagolitic, but unfortunately I don't speak Croatian, so I could reconstruct it only in Slovak. As Slovak uses Latin, which doesn't use yers (unlike Glagolitic and Cyrillic), it's hard for me to reconstruct it properly. And to this day I've never heard of anything like the Schshchleishcher's Fable. According to Wiki, it's a story written in PIE.

Is this the full story?
    [On a hill,] a sheep that had no wool saw horses, one of them pulling a heavy wagon, one carrying a big load, and one carrying a man quickly. The sheep said to the horses: "My heart pains me, seeing a man driving horses." The horses said: "Listen, sheep, our hearts pain us when we see this: a man, the master, makes the wool of the sheep into a warm garment for himself. And the sheep has no wool." Having heard this, the sheep fled into the plain.

BTW your nickname is funny. Is it intentional? :D

• @BoboSmrade hahahaha that parody made some childhoods here... I don't think anyone here will be able to that for you. Maybe @cHr0mChIk could help you a bit, he's shown some linguistic knowledge on this forum.

@Kapitán Denis Boba is a character from LoTR parody that was really popular down here back when good content was shared via Bluetooth. Frodo is referred to as Boba, smrad means stink/stench (GOT's Theon Greyjoy's nickname Reek is also translated as Smrad here). Bobo Smrade is a vocative form. here it is:

• @Dušan
    Smrade is a vocative form
    It has the same exact form in Czech. And it's usually used as a swear word, e.g. Ty smrade! Slovak doesn't use vocative anymore. :/
  • @Kapitán Denis Here's it's meant as an insult too, but it's pretty mild, friendly sort of.
    well, there are some vocative leftovers :D človeče, bratu etc. Here sometimes Serbian vocative is used, but most people go by nicknames ending with "o" or by last name, so there's no need for it anyway.
  • edited August 21
    That is what I consider as a real Croatian language, not Shtokavian languange which is today official in Croatia.
    Cool nick btw
  • @Knez Could you give some examples of differences between old Croatian and Serbianized Croatian? I can't find any good resources. You might have a better luck.
  • @Kapitán Denis that story basically goes like this: Čakavian is Croatian, Kajkavian is Slovene or Croatian and Štokavian is Serbian. Štokavian is base for standard SCBM language(s). People who claim this will state that only čakavians and Burgenland Croats are actually speaking Croatian (čakavian was Croatian literally dialect in medieval times). So look up Burgenland Croats or čakavian for that.
    Dialect names come from word for "what" što/šta, kaj, ča. 
  • @Dušan That's it? Just different dialects? Could Croats understand old medieval/post-medieval texts?

BTW, if we put it this way, then standard Slovak is Čokavian, and there are also Cokavian, Šokavian, Čvokavian, Šuokavian, Švakavian and even Čehokavian dialects. :D
  • @Kapitán Denis of course that's not all of it, that's what Knez is referring to. It's also pretty archaic. I tried reading Baška tablet BoboSmrade mentioned, that is transcription of it, since it's in glagolitic script and I can't read it "fluently", I just recognize most of letters. Anyhow I understand most of it, but it doesn't sound too similar to the modern language. This is the english wikipedia article, so you can compare it.

• edited August 22
    Kapitán Denis dialects are not really my storng point, so unfortonately I can not help a lot.
     I would not call present day official Croatian as Serbianized Croatian, it is pretty much the same language as Serbian. Further more I  belive that they use less non-Slavic words then we use.

Generally in my opionion , spoken Čakavian is not very understendable to Shtokavian speakers which were not exposed to it´s variants. From what I´ve heard it is a lot easier to understand Slovenian language, and Kajkavian dialects of Croatian, which are close to present day Slovenian language. So to answer your question I doubt that they will easy understand what is written there, they might get a point if text would be transletad from glagolitic alphabet, maybe not as easy, but it is also possible to get a point if you read some other Slavic languages. So in my opinion it is more like a different language then like a dialect. This map shows distribution in present day Croatia (spoken by 12% of Croats, according to Wikipedia). https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/53/Croatia_Dialects_Cakavian.svg/820px-Croatia_Dialects_Cakavian.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chakavian

Historical distribution ( according to source) in 16th ct. Division between eastern and western Shtokavian dialects is bogus crap invented by Croatian linguiststs (propagandists), I belive in political purposes, there is only one Shtokavian.  But map is interesting , Turks caused migrations so most of these "original" Croats moved toward north, and were replaced by Shtokavians, which would later in hudge amout be absorbed due various reasons into Croatian ethnicity :

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Serbo_croatian_dialects_historical_distribution_2.png

Distribution before Yugoslav wars, after Yugoslav war and after Serbs were expeled from "present day" Croatia, many of these Shtokavian regions left barely populated.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c3/Shtokavian_subdialects1988_incl_Slovenia.png/1200px-Shtokavian_subdialects1988_incl_Slovenia.png

Sorry I went off topic, here are some examples of differences, I could find much more either, if I find I´ll post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPrYj26JfHE