One Of These Legendary Soviet Female Snipers Killed 309 Nazis

edited September 11 in Culture and History

One Of These Legendary Soviet Female Snipers Killed 309 Nazis

Stunning colorized images have given new life to WWII photos of brave female snipers who defended their homeland against the invading German battalions. This set also includes the most succesful female sniper in history known as ‘Lady Death’ or by her real name Lyudmila Pavlichenko.

Read the full story here

Comments

• These photos are beautiful, but truth is many of these women had terrible lives after the war. Many were killed, and the ones who lived quite often returned home maimed or disabled from wounds and amputations of limbs. Some returned in good physical condition but with mental issues (post traumatic stress disorder, which was not yet recognized by science.) Men were not interested in marrying these women they fought with on the front. Many of the women remained single and lived in poverty the rest of their lives. The Russian government did not recognize them for their war efforts until recently.

Quotes from the book "The Unwomanly Face of War." Russian ex-soldiers comment on the women who fought beside them in WW2:

I'd go on a scouting mission with such a woman, but I wouldn't marry her…No…We're used to thinking of women as mothers and brides. The beautiful lady*, finally. War is a man's business. What, don't you have enough men to write about?
    I met many pretty girls at the front, but we didn't look at them as women. Though, in my view, they were wonderful girls. But they were our friends, who dragged us off the battlefield. Who saved us, took care of us. I was hauled off wounded twice. How could I have bad feelings about them? But could you marry your brother? We called them little sisters.

The war ended, and they all turned out to be terribly defenseless… Take my wife, an intelligent woman, but she has bad feelings about girls who were in the war. She thinks they went to the war to find husbands, that they all had love affairs there. Though, in fact, since we're having a sincere conversation, they were mostly honest girls. Pure. But after the war… After all the dirt, and lice, and death…We wanted something beautiful. Bright. Beautiful women … I had a friend, at the front there was a wonderful girl, as I now understand, who loved him. A nurse. But he didn't marry her; he was demobilized and found another, prettier one. And he's unhappy with his wife. Now he remembers the other one, his wartime love; she would have been a good companion to him. But after the front he left her. Because for four years he had seen her only in old boots and a man's padded jacket … We wanted to forget the war. And we forgot our girls, too…

*In 1904 the Russian symbolist Alexander Blok (1880-1921) published a collection of poems entitled "Verses About the Beautiful Lady," expressing his spiritual-erotic vision of the eternal feminine.
  • edited September 11
    When a famous personality from Soviet era is discussed he or she would be labeled as 'Soviet' by the Russians. When a person from Soviet era is of Russian descent he or she will be labeled as Russian. Russian descent of this person is highlighted.

Lyudmila Pavlichenko was Ukrainian from Ukraine. She was a famous female sniper from Ukraine accounted for 309 enemies (soldiers and officers).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyudmila_Pavlichenko

The picture of Lyudmila shows orders she was awarded. The one on Lyudmila's left side (star) just above the rest was the highest order one could obtain in USSR.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_8hy9eVIAI1KaA.png
    https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Герой_Советского_Союза

• A great example of the ethnosuicidal tendencies of that monstrous country that the USSR was. That's why we have the scourge of feminist madness in the post-Soviet countries. Then, women were allowed to kill men, now, they're allowed to vote and own property.

Too bad, so few Slavs actually understand the root of this insanity - Marxism. I hope I will live to see the day when that criminal ideology will be fully recognized as evil.
  • @Adûnâi yeah, what's next? Women out of kitchen?
  • edited September 11
    @Dušan God forbid, some things are too horrifying to joke about.

P.S: Allowing anyone to vote was a big mistake.
  • We need a "one of these lovely unkrainian ladies gassed 6 million jews thread."
  • Lyudmila Pavlichenko is on the cover of the book, "The Unwomanly Face of War." On the left. One of the best books I've ever read.

page1
    page2
    page3
    page4
    page5
    page6
    page7
    page8
    page9
    page10
    page11
    page12
    page13
    page14
    page15
    page16
    page17
    page18
    page19
    page20
    page21
    page22
    page23
    page24
    page25
    page26
    page27
    page28
    page29_v2
  • Lyudmila even has a movie. Battle For Sevastopol

Trailer.

The beautiful blond girl in the opening post was killed in the war. Roza Shanina – Soviet sniper with 54 confirmed kills, including 12 enemy snipers. She also personally captured 3 enemy soldiers. Unlike many conscripts in the Soviet army who were threatened with the deaths of their family in order to make them fight the much better equipped Nazis, Shanina volunteered for the front lines.

Graduating from the sniper academy with honors, Shanina was renowned for her ability to quick-shot two targets, or ‘double-hit’, with a lever action rifle. The Soviet Union deployed numerous female snipers, because of superior flexible limbs, and a belief that they were both patient and cunning. Women were also thought to be more resilient under combat stress than men, and more resistant to exposure to cold climates.

Shanina refused orders to be transferred to safety (she was offered this on account of her hero status) and instead died along with the other less-renowned women of her command while protecting a heavily wounded artillery commander after 72 of 78 of her battalion were already killed in combat action during the East Prussian Offensive. She herself was at that time a squad commander.

Shanina was hailed as “The Unseen Terror of East Prussia” and became the first Soviet female sniper to be awarded the Order of Glory, the highest of her multiple awards. According to a nurse, her last words were in regret to having ‘done so little’. 1924 – 1945 CE
  • @Karpivna liking the quotes... and how unfortunate for those women
  • @Karpivna
    Lyudmila Pavlichenko is on the cover of the book, "The Unwomanly Face of War." On the left. One of the best books I've ever read.
    The funny part of the story is that the meaning of her name is "a person that loves people" or "a person that is nice to people". :D
  • I read the book of Sveitlana Aleksievich. The unwomanly face of war (У войны не женское лицо).

Sveitlana interviewed the girls who participated in war in person. The stories of the girls are so touching.  A couple of years ago Svietlana won noble prize in literature.
  • @Kapitán Denis - liudmila is "beloved _of_ the people", nothing says she had to love them back.