Slavic culture doesn't exist!

Ahojte!

I found a question on Quora with a title "What are the the most important aspects of the Slavic culture?"
and some dude answered that the Slavic culture doesn't exist! :/

OK, let's read the full answer:
  • The word Slavic means just a Slavic language.
    Slavic is a linguistic term.
    Slavs just means Slavophones and nothing else.
  • Any usage of the word Slavic (or Slav) outside the linguistics is an abuse.
    Any usage of the word Slavic (or Slav) beyond the linguistics is racist and offending.
    Even asking if Slavic people were blue-eyed is racist and offending.
  • There are Slavic languages only. Slavs just means people speaking a Slavic language.
    Slavs just means Slavophones.
    Slavic countries are just those countries where a Slavic language is spoken and nothing else.
  • There is no such thing as Slavic race.
  • There is no such thing as Slavic culture.
    If we consider for instance the Russian culture and the Czech culture,
    their intersection entirely fits into the European Christian culture.
Here's the link for the original question posted on Quora.

While I agree that Slavs are primarily identified by their language, I disagree that being a Slav only means being a part of a specific linguistic group.
This guy wrote that any usage of the word Slav(ic) outside linguistics is an abuse and he even used bold font! :#

The Wikipedia page (always the right source :D) about Slavs says that they're an ethno-linguistic group.
The meaning of the word ethnicity (or ethnic group) according to Cambridge Dictionary:
a large group of people who have the same national, racial, or cultural origins, or the state of belonging to such a group

So what do you guys think about his answer?
Can a penguin from the other side of the world instantly become a Slav just by learning a Slavic language,
or is something deeper that comes from your heritage, traditions, maybe even behavior and such?
What pisses me off the most is that he's trying to look smart. :D

I also have a little challenge for you:
Let's find out things that are common for all Slavic nations that other people than Slavs don't have/do.
Write anything that comes to your mind down in the discussion.

Slava! <3

Comments

• edited September 13
    The Internet is full of experts. I suggest you do what a reasonable guy should do in such a case - grab your dick and shift it from one trunk of your trousers into the other.
  • Slavs have common origin to some extent, unlike Romance languages speakers. All Slavs probably can trace their roots back to pre-migration lands. Slavs have common myths and legends, not all Slavs have all the same ones, but there always some present in multiple Slavic nations. In the end we have and we had pan Slavic movements to bring us closer. Similarly to our languages, which slightly change from shade to shade as you go from North to South, our cultures slightly change. When you compare Russian and Czech cultures there are some noticeable differences, but when you go from Russia to Belarus, where does the Russian culture stop and Belarusian begins, same goes for Belarus and Poland, Poland and Czech republic etc. And last but not least, term Slavic Soul doesn't exist without a reason.
  • @aaaaa You're the author of that answer, aren't you? :D
  • Language is one of the most defining elements of Slavdom, but it's also one of the most important elements of culture. How can you have a Slavic language (or language family), but not a Slavic cultural family?
    If we use such narrow definitions, then there are no cultures whatsoever - neither a "European Christian culture", nor national and regional cultures, since it's either all "human culture" or "individual/personal culture". But things are obviously more nuanced than that.
  • Every Slavic Education Institution must teach the Slavic Shuffle.  Come on fellow slavs, we need to evolve from the folk dancing era!  :D

• Imagine people visiting slavic countries and they see the people doing the slavic shuffle to work to the shops... they'd love it!
  • @GLK although I don't like these kind of Slavic representations this video is pan Slavic in fact... This music and this video look so Balkan, if you just changed the lyrics, it'd be like any other song here. Bulgarian friends probably can confirm this too.
  • @Dušan  Yeah, I agree.  

I actually thought in the opening scene at 0.03 it was filmed in Belgrade on the Sava near Kalemegdan?  I could be wrong... its literally only a blink in that clip.
  • edited September 13
    LOL at lyrics of the song. It's in Russian which I can understand.
  • edited September 13
    Alcohol. We all have a love of alcohol that surpasses even the Germans, Irish, Brits, and the underrated heavy-hitters of liver abuse, the Mexicans. 

Seriously though, after looking through the matches on the DNA kits of both my uncle and I, we both match Czechs, Slovaks, Poles, Russians, Ukrainians, Serbs, and Slovenes. I figure there has to be some common ethnic origin way back there somewhere, unless the Czechs just went and fucked their way into every other country, which would explain my grandpa and myself pretty well. That guy was a master skirtchaser, and i seemed to inherit the gene, though diluted.
  • edited September 13
    Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian are mutually understandable languages. There are jokes about each other's languages.  Ukrainian language is the funniest. All those  'i' in Ukrainian in place of Russian 'o' or Belarusian 'a'. For example all Slavic word 'kot' (cat) is 'kit' in Ukrainian. In Belarusian and Russian 'kit' is whale.

• In Polish "kit" is bullshit. At least it's used in this context most often.
  • edited September 13
    Wrong, in Serbian we dont use "kot" for cat, but "kit" is a whale :D
  • edited September 13
    @Sviatogor somewhere in Slovakia kot becomes mačka and stays that way all the way down south.
  • > Wrong, in Serbian we dont use "kot" for cat

Кот is the term. It's proto-Slavic term for cat.
  • Poles are proto-Slavic then.
  • @GaiusCoriolanus, Poles are the Slaviest of all Slavs. 

Czechs and Slovenes are the most Germanized. Slovaks are the most Magyarized. Russians and Ukrainians the most Mongolized. Belaruisians the most Balticized. Croats, Bosnians, Serbs, Bulgarians, and Montenegrins the most Turkicized. Only Poles stand strong as the Slavic superiors of the world. Hahaha
  • @GaiusCoriolanus Why is that whenever a random word pops up, it's a Polish swear word in 9/10 cases? :D

@texczech82 Poles are the most Prussianized. :D

Topic: cats

somewhere in Slovakia kot becomes mačka and stays that way all the way down south.
    I'm not sure if mačka is of Hungarian or Slavic origin, but it comes from an interjection for calling a cat: "mač-mač-mač..." :D
    There is also:
    "ci-ci-ci" -> cicka,
    "mici-mici" -> micka
    and sometimes we call cats cicka-micka or just cica-mica. :D

We don't use the word kot, but kocúr is a male cat. The same goes for dogs - female dog is suka. :D

Czechs wanted to be universal, so they invented kočka. :D

Topic: whales

The word kit is of Greek origin:
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/κῆτος#Ancient_Greek

We call a whale veľryba, which means "big fish". :D
  • @texczech82 nem, Magyars are most slavicised... Slovaks are the ultimate Slavs, we got the title and the name... (Slovak literally means Slav)