New Round Glagolitic font

edited October 7 in Languages
Ahoj, Slavorum!

I don't know how familiar you are with ancient scripts and if you're interested, but today/tonight I prepared this thread about round Glagolitic font I just made.
Let me know what you think about it. :)

1. Introduction

When someone says Glagolitic, people think about... well... nothing at all. :D
But those who do, they imagine the ancient Croatian alphabet, the angular Glagolitic.
It's because it has been in use for a very long period of time and most of the books written in Glagolitic has been written in this script.

So I thought I could somehow revive its older brother, round Glagolitic.
It has been used by priests in Great Moravia, but soon it was replaced by Latin. It was a dead script before the invention of print, so only handwritten sources were preserved, such as the Kiev Missal, for example.
I think it's considered the oldest Glagolitic text that has been found.
You can view its content online: https://www.wdl.org/en/item/7488/view/1/8/

I thought that introducing the round Glagolitic to the new era of print would be a good way to honor this script.
There are some fonts available, but they're all based on the handwritten form, which is inconsistent.

The original alphabet was designed for Old Church Slavic.
My goal was to create a Glagolitic alphabet (with modern look) for Slovak language.
It uses accented characters instead of yers for palatalization. It basically works the same way the Slovak alphabet does.
I made custom characters for letters Q, W and X. They are simply just variations of characters K and V.

The font itself doesn't contain many characters, just the Slovak alphabet, numbers (Arabic) and some of the basic punctuation marks.
Since the original script has used only one letter case, I sticked with that and I made the upper case letter system (SHIFT + CHARACTER) to contain letters of palatalized sounds instead. Slovak alphabet contains 46 letters, geez! :#

I made the font in 2 weights - regular and light.

2. Preview

RegularLight
Transliteration:
všetci ľudia sa rodia
slobodní a sebe rovní,
čo sa týka ich dôstojnosti
a práv. sú obdarení rozumom
a majú navzájom jednať
v bratskom duchu.

Translation:
All human beings are born
free and equal
in dignity
and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience
and should act towards one another
in a spirit of brotherhood.

Looks like something that aliens would use, doesn't it? :D

This table shows the Slovak alphabet in my font and the corresponding Latin letters in the first 2 columns.
The 3rd column shows the characters that my font is based on and the 4th column contains angular Glagolitic letters for comparison.

3. Download

Regular: https://mega.nz/#!uAs30aRS!3s2EZcJy50PPvv9y2ayVD4cSXId0kchPYQmv2CX1GGo
Light: https://mega.nz/#!jRM1VLwD!-zcdg_gl_Bn5UzD1pHzdXtOujDxnv3MfVkrLw0x4RD8

License: Don't mind using it anywhere you want. :)

4. Conclusion

Don't worry, I'm not starting any campaign to make this alphabet the official script of Slovak Republic. :D
I made it just for fun and to appreciate the great work of Cyril and Methodius, although I'm not a big fan of Christianity or any other religion. :D

What do you think about the font or Glagolitic in general? Can you imagine it being the official script of your language? ;)

Comments

• I love the round Glagolitic script. It is so nice and friendly-looking. I wish Glagolitic was the official script of at least one language. I am happy that some Catholic churches across Croatia and the Czech Republic use it. I don't really care for religion either (neither for or against) but I am happy to see that it preserved some really cool aspects of our history.
  • Angular Glagolitic is a lot harder to read! 
  • @krasotka
    Angular Glagolitic is a lot harder to read! 
    Not counting all the ligatures they developed. :D
    I've tried to read some books written in angular Glagolitic, but unfortunately I don't speak Croatian and the ligatures made me stop and think for a minute what kind of letters they were. :D
  • @Kapitán Denis This is very interesting! I think you are a genius! :o
  • Try spelling

IC XC NIKA

using Glagolic glyphs.
    Be amazed.
  • I just noticed something, It always confused me that which one is the hard y and which one soft i, I thought  is i and y is either  or 
  • On your question, I tried writing in Glagolitic script, but Serbian switched to entirely phonetic script in the 19th century, so it's bit harder recreating some words especially with ya sound (to use yat or not?). Implementing yat instead of e is pretty easy. With Slovak I had trouble with i an y, as I said.
    I'd like to be able to write down a language in Glagolitic.
  • edited October 7
    Glagolithic sounds like a geology term. What's wrong with Glagolic?
    Lythos is stone in Greek.
  • edited October 7
    @aaaaa I don't know, it's just the English term for it, probably from the infinitive form of Glagoliti.
    edit: and there's no th
  • Az Bouki Vedi Glagoli Dobre
  • >edit: and there's no th

Thank God.
  • @aaaaa I'm talking about infinitive forms in Slavic languages, I don't know if you guys have those, but e.g glagolati/glagoljati (Serbo-Croatian). endings ti/ći/ť/ти/ћи/ть.
  • edited October 7
    Modern Bulgarian has no use for infinitives, everything is conjugated, but we do understand it.
    When I was in Serbia without having any formal coaching I was able to produce the phrase
    "Mojemo da kupiti jedno viljamovku" and the lady understood me just fine.
  • @aaaaa It's understandable but wrong, it's either Možemo (li) da kupimo jednu viljamovku?-more common in Serbia or Možemo (li) kupiti jednu viljamovku?-more common in western dialects (Bosnia, Croatia...). Of course it's all good, I wouldn't want to speak a foreign language if I was in Bulgaria either. Depending on where you were in Serbia, and where you are from in Bulgaria, you maybe could get by with your Bulgarian.
  • @Dušan ;
    It always confused me that which one is the hard y and which one soft i
    Yea, it confuses me as well. There are multiple alphabets online and they're inconsistent in the pronunciantion of these letters. But since Slovak I and Y are pronounced the same, I didn't care much about the correctness.
    On the other hand, Ukrainian alphabet has 3 different "I" letters with different sound value. :D

Another problem is the Glagolitic letter J. Some alphabets online say it's pronounced like Ď or DŽ, some say it's J. I used 2 variants of the same glyph for letters J and Ď.
  • @Kapitán Denis I always though  is i, since it's called i (and), but I don't know. Pre-reform Serbian had also those Ukrainian symbols, but I don't think there was a difference between cyrillic и and i. I and Y is pronounced the same now, but probably wasn't some centuries ago, Y was probably something like Polish Y or Russian Ы (which has equivalent glagolitic character). 
     I think that's Ď, Dž is a foreign sound to Slavic languages like F. Although Ď can be written with other symbols. J was written same as i, from what I understand. 
  • edited October 7
    @Dušan Well, there are at least 5 different ways to write I in Glagolitic and yers themselves could also carry a similar pronunciation. :D

I
    Izhe
    I
    Jery
    GlagolitsaIzhitsagif

I don't know the exact pronunciation of OCS, but from what I read, those 2 seemed to be interchangeable versions of soft I.

Play this video at 1:37, 1:44, 4:11 and 5:43 :D

Languages evolve over time and we cannot reproduce the exact same pronunciation of ancient languages, since they didn't have audio recorders back then. We can only reproduce those languages based on current languages that evolved from them. As I mentioned, those 2 glyphs represent the same sound (as far as we know), so do the I/Y in Slovak. I really don't know what would be more "correct" usage.
    I think the correct representation of Y would be Jery, but I wanted to avoid using digraphs and I wanted to use both I and I in the alphabet. :D

As for the J/Ď characters, look at this alphabet. I did the same thing basically.

httpspolishforumscomuser_filesuploaded706901435602_1_ojpg
  • edited October 7
    @Dušan

>I think that's Ď, Dž is a foreign sound to Slavic languages like F. Although Ď can be written with other symbols. J was written same as i, from what I understand.

We are a small ethnicity in comparison to our neighbours. Russia (140ml), Ukraine (40mln), Poland (38mln), Belarus (9.5mln).
    The sound Dž is native in our language.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarusian_Latin_alphabet

• edited October 7
    @Sviatogor So is the F sound. Dušan was writing about the pre-OCS era. Are you sure your language had that sound back then?
  • @Kapitán Denis

>Are you sure your language had that sound back then?

I am sure we have this sound in Belarusian.