Lusatian Sorbs

edited October 7 in Sorbs
There are  Russians, Ukrainians, Croats, Serbs, Bulgarians, Poles on this forum. Even Czechs, Slovaks and Slovenes. But there are no  Lusatian Sorbs on this forum. They call themselves 'Serby' Exactly as we name them - Сербы.

Did you know that Сербы asked Joseph Stalin for autonomy after WWII in eastern Germany and he ignored them? Do you know Russian Queen Catherine II maybe of Lusatian Sorb descent?

Comments

• I know that Sorbs hoped for independence/autonomy/joining Poland/Czechia after major conflicts, but they were always let down.

I think there was one Sorbian forum member, quick forum search gives us @hanka2

• edited October 7
    Their language is quite interesting. Something like a hybrid of Polish and Czech, with some German thrown in because... well, that's where they've been for ages. I find it fascinating how they have been around for so long and not just absorbed into the German population.
  • edited October 7
    @krasotka
    I find it fascinating how they have been around for so long and not just absorbed into the German population.
    Well... Today their language has the official status in their region, although the population of native speakers is similar to a smaller city. And when you look into the history, Sorbs aren't the only Slavs that used to live in Germany. Once the whole eastern Germany was home of many Polabian Slavic tribes, who assimilated over time.

Sorbs are not the only ones that survived an assimilation. We Slovaks were foreigners in our own lands (without a literary language) for almost a millennium, followed by an attempt for a forced assimilation process. Today we're still here with our own language.

Even the strong Czech nation was in danger as well. The Slavic anthem was created because once German could be heard on the streets of Czech towns more than Czech. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey,_Slavs

It's the total opposite of Jász people, who came to Hungary in 13th century and fully lost their language 2 centuries after. I guess it's because there wasn't many of them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasz_people