UKRAINE IS SOOOO CHEAP!

Comments

• edited October 8
    Its only a little bit cheaper than Belgrade (other cities in Serbia are cheaper). Some prices are about the same.

PS. In my opinion this is bad commercial. Advertising the country mostly because its cheaper than the West is wrong on so many level.
  • Most interesting thing here to me are those folk costumes on a regular market. Cigarettes are much cheaper, in Serbia it's 2-4USD. You can't get a beer out on that price, but supermarket prices are pretty much the same. Other stuff is pretty much similar 10%-20% cheaper than in Serbia. He doesn't mention the average wage in Ukraine, it's probably the lowest in Europe (if you exclude Kosovo).

@Shaokang my town is at times more expensive than Belgrade, we never figured out why. Our average wage is down to 2/3 of some Belgrade municipalities and unemployment was at 35% few years ago. Season work, Slovakia, Malta are most popular solutions. I know the south is dirt cheap, they sometimes pay for things half of what we do, but then again, they have lower average wages.
  • For me, as an American, these prices are ridiculously low. I went to a local restaurant with my bf today, had some average food and drinks. The bill was $50.00!!! Plus, we HAD to tip an extra %15. We went to the gas station to gas up and wash cars for the work week. We also bought three Sunday newspapers = $10.00 total.  We then went to the grocer's and Target. We spent $500.00 USD just today buying necessary, basic life stuff, plus eating out at a restaurant. 8 rolls of toilet paper =$9.00.  :s  12 rolls of paper towel = $17.00. Dish soap (1 bottle) = $5.00. Eggs = $2.00 for dozen. 10 yogurts = $10.00. Tuna Fish = 1 pouch $4.99. Romaine lettuce = $4.00. Turkey deli slices = $6.00, pickles in a jar =$4.99. Tomatoes on the vine = $1.99 a pound. The cheapest item was bananas + .59 cents a pound. Of course, we bought much more than this. Meat is a killer on the budget.

Rent for a one bedroom apartment in my area is $625.00 per month. This only includes hot/cold water. Extras: Cable TV=150.00 per month. Heat/AC = $200 a month. Wifi/Internet = $80.00 per month. Cell phone service =$40-60.00 per month. Landline service = $40.00 per month. Renter's Insurance = 15.00 per month. 

Then there is car payment, car insurance, yearly registration fees, car maintenance, and gas. Plus, clothes, food, hair salon services (manicure is $100.00 2x per month). Entertainment (concerts, movies, theatre, sports games, golf, gym memberships, yoga classes, ...)

Medical costs not covered by insurance. 

Oh, and retirement savings accounts and other investments. 

A person needs to make $3500-4000 a month to live comfortably in my area, which isn't the most expensive in the USA. This is just one person. A family needs to make more, especially if paying for university. My university costs $50,000 a year for a person living in my state. Out of state students pay double that. 

Western Ukraine looks very attractive to me. 
  • @Karpivna You have really cheap gasoline in comparison to Europe.
  • @Shaokang Yes, that is true. Gas is very low cost at the moment. 
  • @Karpivna ;
    The bill was $50.00!!! Plus, we HAD to tip an extra %15. We went to the gas station to gas up and wash cars for the work week. We also bought three Sunday newspapers = $10.00 total.  We then went to the grocer's and Target. We spent $500.00 USD just today buying necessary, basic life stuff, plus eating out at a restaurant. 8 rolls of toilet paper =$9.00.  s  12 rolls of paper towel = $17.00. Dish soap (1 bottle) = $5.00. Eggs = $2.00 for dozen. 10 yogurts = $10.00. Tuna Fish = 1 pouch $4.99. Romaine lettuce = $4.00. Turkey deli slices = $6.00, pickles in a jar =$4.99. Tomatoes on the vine = $1.99 a pound........

• edited October 9
    Ukraine is cheaper than Belarus. The cost of apartments is about the same in Kyiv and Minsk. $2,500 USD per square metre in suburbs outside of posh areas. But Moscow was in top 10 expensive cities of the world at some stage. It was as expensive as London and New York. For example 60sq m 1 bedroom apartment , not the most expensive area in Moscow (Patriershie prudy), cost 80mln rubles  - $1,375 mln. It was more expensive before currency exchange fell  in 2014. cannot price the expensive suburb of Moscow - Rublevka.

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/moscow-is-no-longer-one-of-worlds-most-expensive-cities-47456

• edited October 8
    Petrol, gas and electricity are probably cheaper in Belarus than in Ukraine. Definitely, petrol is cheaper.
  • If they can't be free ...
  • Ukraine is the poorest country in Europe, so it's only logical it would also be the cheapest*. Still, don't repeat our mistake - don't advertise your country as cheap! It will only attract the wild masses of drunken barbarians and it's not really worth it.

*Then again, Bulgaria is the poorest country in the EU, but that still didn't stop us from having a whole bunch of products not only of a lower quality, but also of higher, sometimes considerably higher prices than the same ones in Germany (at least according to that product quality discrepancy research this year).
  • Fuck the EU, though
  • @Dušan I can understand Malta, but Slovakia? Its about as if you're working in Serbia, if you take out the money you would pay for rent.
  • @Dušan I can understand Slovakia, but Malta? It's like spending your whole payout just to get to the work. :D
  • @Shaokang what's not understandable there?
    Serbian minimum wage - 192€, Serbian average wage - 390€
    Slovak minimum wage   - 435€, Slovak average wage  - around 1000€

and as I said, unemployment in my municipality -30%

Two of my close friends are in Slovakia at the moment, it's not their first time there. It's a three month arrangement, because of EU laws. They'll be working 12h shifts on a production/assembly line. They earn less than Slovaks, but overtime and weekend work pays well, so they'll be earning around 800 a month, they buy their own food, agency takes care of housing. They're mostly located around Trnava.
  • @Kapitán Denis actually I don't know personally many of people who work there, but plane tickets are really cheap if you buy them early enough.
  • @Dušan Perhaps I was looking from perspective of my own profession  :D
  • @Shaokang of course there's not much difference in your field. Slovakia actually has deficit of engineers, on most technical faculties you don't have to do entry exams (prijemni), you get in automatically unless you had like sufficient (dovoljan) schools average grade. I actually got accepted in Bratislava and got government scholarship few years ago, but in the end I decided to stay, I liked study program in Novi Sad better.
  • IMO The cheapest country of Europe is Moldova.