Today, November 9, is Ukrainian Writing & Language Day

Ukrainian Writing and Language Day is an official holiday, that is annually celebrated on November 9. This holiday was established by President of Ukraine Leonid Kuchma in 1997.

The date of celebration was chosen to be November 9, that coincides with a religious feast of the Ukrainian Church, commemorating Saint Nestor the Chronicle. Nestor the Chronicle was a monk in Kiev Pechersk Lavra and he is considered to be the author of Tale of Bygone Years (also called Primary Chronicle), that is a fundamental work of the Slavonic culture.

This cultural observance was established by the president in order to support the initiative of various social organizations and recognize the important role that Ukrainian language plays in unification of the Ukrainian society.

A traditional ceremony of laying flowers is organized at the monument to Nestor the Chronicle. Other cultural events are organized to promote the use of Ukrainian language. The International Competition of the Ukrainian Language Experts also starts on November 9, over 5 million people from 20 countries around the world participate it.

https://112.international/ukraine-top-news/ukraine-marks-day-of-ukrainian-writing-and-language-today-22469.html

Comments

• I will write in Ukrainian. :D
    Dobroho dnya, Slavur! YA spodivayusya, shcho vse dobre.
  • edited November 9
    @Karpivna Ahoj! :)
  • @Карпівна

"Доброго дня, Славур!  Я сподіваюся що все добре".  Так?  Це Україньский!
  • edited November 9
    @MikhailA I used Google Translate. I know, SHAME ON ME!  :#  I did not write in the Cyrillic but transliterated Latin letters.

I am trying to learn Ukrainian right now using Mango. It is free from my library. Russian and Ukrainian are very hard and make my brain hurt.  :D Obviously, language is not genetic.
    https://mangolanguages.com/available-languages/learn-ukrainian/
  • @Karpivna ;
    I did not write in the Cyrillic but transliterated Latin letters. 
    щ = shch
    Pffff... Transliteration is a waste of electricity. :D
  • @Kapitán Denis
    Truly.  If only all other languages in Slav family used Cyrillic (Like Polish!  SZ=Ш, SZCZ=Щ, etc.)  Chociaż język polski jest dobry jak jest,
  • @MikhailA
    Slovak:
    Ш = Š
    Щ = ...would be ŠČ, but we don't use this sound; for us it's 2 different sounds put together

Slovak uses some digraphs, such as:
    DZ = Ѕ (Yes, it's a Cyrillic letter)
    DŽ = Џ
    CH = Х

We also have letters that kind of represent 2 sounds (like Щ):
    Ô = U + O
    Q = K + U (or V)
    X = K + S
  • @Kapitán Denis

If I had the time, I would make a Кириллица alphabet for each Slavic language that went to Latinica, though it would be supremely difficult when it comes to Čeština and Sorb (because I do not know every sound that exists in them because of all the diacritics, such as ř).
  • edited November 10
    @MikhailA ;
    In my little, humble, not-wanting-to-cause-trouble, meaningless, inferior, little, personal opinion:
    Глаголица > Кириллица
    I've already made a font for the round Glagolitic version of Slovak alphabet:
    https://www.slavorum.org/forum/discussion/8801/new-round-glagolitic-font/p1
  • @Kapitán Denis

Understandable when it comes to the languages that Kirill and Metodij did indeed visit, such as Czech and Moravian.  For Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian, and the Serbo-Croat and Bulgar languages, it is irreplaceable.
  • Yeah, we used Glagolitic in the beginning as well, for several centuries actually (heck, the Ohrid literary school kept using it till around the 13th c). But in the end Cyrillic proved "superior". Well, actually, it's because we were already too used to the Greek alphabet, but anyway, Glagolitic was supposedly harder to write (hence why St. Kliment of Ohrid devised a more rounded version).
  • @NikeBG We are entering an era where "writing" becomes "typing" anyway. And if you think Glagolitic is inferior just because it's harder than Latin, Cyrillic or Greek, then just look at Chinese. :D
    I'm not saying we should adopt Glagolitic, but I just don't see the problem of using it.
  • Oh, I'd love a resurgence of Glagolitic - I think it looks pretty cool and it is, after all, a completely new writing system, not a Greek derivative. On the other hand, given its extremely Christian symbolism, I'm not sure how the more sensitive neo-Pagans and atheists would feel. Then again, meh, who cares.
  • edited November 12
    @NikeBG ;
    On the other hand, given its extremely Christian symbolism, I'm not sure how the more sensitive neo-Pagans and atheists would feel.
    As far as I know, pagans have their own world (like Jews), so they wouldn't care so much.

And atheists? Which calendar do they use? The Gregorian or the Holocene calendar? That's right, the Gregorian one, which has the most important symbolism for all Christians. 

If Glagolitic had to be adopted again, there would be some "haló" around it, but it would settle after a short time. It would have to be adopted as a second official script, just like Serbia has. People would get used to it over time.

a completely new writing system, not a Greek derivative.
    But it has some Greek influence.
  • @Kapitán Denis actually since 2006 Constitution change official script in Serbia is Cyrillic only, but Latin script can be made official by local governments. That basically means documentation has to be in Cyrillic, but Latin is still in everyday use e.g. majority of brands/shops/bars have their names in Latin script. My municipality, like many other, has both scripts as official ones.
  • @Dušan So Latin had the official status just because of Crna Gora?
  • @Kapitán Denis nothing to do with neighbouring countries. Standard Serbian language has two scripts. Cyrillic script is official throughout the country, Latin in some municipalities (~okres in Slovakia). All the official documents and literature should be in Cyrillic script. But that's just a formality, people write in Latin all the time, no one will stop you, even in schools, except on Serbian classes, where it's usually written alternately in both scripts. Many people even fill out some forms in Cyrillic with Latin. I know I do most of the time.
  • @Dušan

Truly a shame to understand how much Kirillica is declining.  Serbia should move to reverse the trend.
  • edited November 14
    @MikhailA It's not all that bad. There are a lot of people who write in Cyrillic alphabet, I'd say it's 50-50. It's just that is easier in this information age to use Latin script in the digital world. I myself wrote in Cyrillic till I was ~16, then I switched to Latin for several reasons. It's written faster, it takes less space, I write nicer in Latin (no confusion between илмцпштгџ in cursive, Serbian cursive is a bit different from Russian), I wanted to get more used to Latin because of my Slovak etc. State owned media use Cyrillic, all official school literature is in Cyrillic, I think there's even some kind of financial encouragement for people writing names of their shops in Cyrillic and many more things.
  • edited November 14
    LOLOL I just googled translated a video text about transplanted Mulberry trees from Ukrainian to English. This what I got. No wonder those trees multiply so quickly. Mulberry trees are known to be invasive, attracting numerous insects with their slutty ways and producing an over-abundance of pollen.  :D

Slutty tree Soyanets - wintering

Original text: 

Шовковиця деревце сіянець - зимівля