What is on your Christmas gift list?

edited November 17 in General Discussion
I'm procrastinating cleaning the bathrooms, so I decided to work on my Christmas List ... :D

These are a few things on my list, so far. What is on your list?

1. Ukrainska Kultura
Leshchenko

New NEW large-format gift edition book about Ukrainian holidays, traditions and customs. Well-designed, with exquisite glossy colour photos and text presented in Ukrainian and English, it includes world-view and beliefs, arts and crafts, food, everyday life, the rituals associated with weddings and funerals, folk costumes and jewelry, family and calendar rituals. Hardcover formal book, bilingual Ukr-Engl, 192 pages. This impressively velvety textured book is a pleasure to hold and interesting to read. An outstanding gift idea!

2. Ukrainian Daughters' Cookbook

A complete recipe book of traditional Ukrainian recipes.  Specific recipes for Christmas and Easter feasts as well as color photographs of decorated tables and meals. Explanations of Easter, Christmas and wedding food traditions.

3. A gift certificate to the local spa.

Comments

• Don't buy me this! This has been rated one of the Most Dangerous Toys of 2017:o

IMHO, the best toy ever is the Stick. The Stick is in the Toy Hall of Fame. The stick is “sustainable, recyclable, and upcyclable.” You can even turn it into mulch when you’re done playing with it! Best Christmas present ever! Just wrap a bow around it.  :p 
    Image result for kids playing with sticks
  • This is a good Christmas stocking for a vodka or rakija drinking Slav! 

Image result for how to make wine pourer from christmas stocking
  • edited November 17
    Sticks represented all sorts of things in my childhood. I mainly used them as weapons - from swords to guns.
    I wonder what sticks represent in dogs' minds when they play with them. :o
  • edited November 17
    @Kapitán Denis I am really glad my parents limited the amount of commercial toys we received for Christmas. My mother micro-managed our Christmas lists. Quality over quantity, as well as long term value, were emphasized.

My favorite "toys" when I was a kid: The Stick. (Like you said, so many uses!  :D  The Fort: A large box or old sheets and blankets over clothes line in backyard. Voila! Fort! Clump of trees: Camp! Homemade Zoo: Frogs, toads, snakes, turtles in cardboard boxes, various insects in jars! See 'em here in my backyard for 5 pennies!  :D
  • edited November 17

I've used this kolovrátok (IDK how it's called in English) as a steering wheel.
    I drove millions of kilometers with this car at my grandma's house.

• edited November 17
    @Kapitán Denis That looks like a spinning wheel. Yes, that would be an awesome steering wheel. You could be a race car driver or captain of a ship! Ahoy, Mateys!  :D
  • @Karpivna
    Ahoy, Mateys!
    I don't wonder why we Czechs and Slovaks use "Ahoy" as a casual greeting anymore, since our grandmas used to have such spinning wheels at home. I'm pretty sure our fathers and grandfathers used to play pirates in their childhood.
  • I'd like two twelve packs of beer, my great-grandmother's kolace, my mom's chicken and dumplings, and a full 8 hours of sleep. That'd be perfect.
  • I had many toys in my childhood, more than any other kid I knew, I also had a PC since early age, but that didn't hold back my creativity. I used sticks as everything until I discovered nails, hammer and knife. Then I started shaping everything and making more realistic swords and guns, since my parents didn't allow us to have gun toys until I was around 8 (a bit ironic, since both my brother and I were born in war times). Later bows and arrows became my occupation.
    We made forts alright, but outside. We used sticks, branches, hay and leaves to make "bases", and then we'd go in war with boys from other streets, now that I'm thinking of it, not such a good idea. Bunch of kids clashing with sticks, bows and arrows, improvised whips, rocks, slingshots etc.
    I used boxes to make castle models and simulate battles in which my dinosaurs, african mammals, knights and farm animals would collide in great battles...

As for the original topic, there's guitar I'd like to have, although texchech82's list doesn't sound bad at all... But two twelve packs? Either beer in the US isn't the same thing as here, or our texchech is some kind of super Slav.
  • Oh, man, you remind me of my favourite game as a kid - funiyki - basically a blowgun (for the more sophisticated kids, fashioned like an actual gun) and paper-made funnel-projectiles. The more people, the merrier, and this would sometimes lead to quite epic battles. Likewise, the battles could turn real whenever a cheater would decide to add a needle to the tip of the funnel. Not funny!

As for Christmas, I'm getting too old for Christmas gifts, so texczech's list sounds quite good indeed.
  • @NikeBG Those were popular in schools, we'd just take pencils apart and start blowing little, but wet pieces of paper :D 
    you reminded me of two really popular weapons in my childhood. First one is a thing we called jenki zulu or just jenki, yes like Yankee. I don't know how we got to it, aparently it has something to do with Zulu people. Anyway it's a relatively long, thin elastic stick, you put some mud on it's end and swing it. That mud projectile could go some distance if it's a good stick and the mud was just right. It was very imprecise, but very effective when it hits.
    Other one is praćkica (little sling shot). It's made out of wire, a rubber band and small wire projectals in shape of U. Those projectiles would leave some marks, it's actually such a good weapon that I can't remember more than few time someone used it on other children. You could kill a bird with a good one.

rubber band would be cut, and it's ends attached to the wire with those separated pieces of isolation material. This one is pretty small, we invested a lot of time in perfecting our weaponry. Also you could add a small nail to the tip of the projectile, but as I remember only one guy did it, of course he was an asshole and fat :D
  • edited November 17
    @Dušan
    Oh, yeah, I had forgotten about those wet paper shots - we had them too, in primary school. Not quite as fun, but useful enough in gaining the attention of some girl you're interested in. Usually the wrong kind of attention...
  • Get an Ushanka.  Perfect for winter and the "ushi".  Also the perfect Slav Winter Attire  :D
  • @Dušan

Not to drink all at once! If it's a pilsner, about 12 at a time. Heavier/ high abv beers, about 6-9 at a time, depending on the strength. Hahaha
  • edited November 19
    The instrument pictured above (sans rubber-band) is called "skobarka" in Sofia (terms like that tend to vary a lot regionally) and is perfect for surprizing your classmates during class. It's painful as hell when you get one of those stuck into your skin. It's purely a terror weapon, as it's small and easily concealable, but otherwise loses energy quickly and is innacurate at long ranges (doubt you could kill a bird with one, unless it's really big, and at that point a slingshot would do better).

Also, you could fashion a mini blow-gun from a bic pen and some putty. If enough of that goes into your hair it's buzzcut day - taking the putty out is torture.
    Best thing about these is they're easy to make and kids love them, so consider giving one (or more) of these to your nephiews this christimas.
    P.S:
    using a pin-tipped cone in your blow-gun in actual play would be considered very bad manners and you'd probably get a beating. It was more for bragging and, eh, research purposes. That said, it was not uncommon to get a normal paper cone stuck into your thigh if you were wearing shorts. A game feels a little like real life counter strike, but more fun.

• edited November 19
    @Kapitán Denis

When God created the Czechs he realized he'd put a little too much pirate into them, so he made them landlocked, lest they became a scourge of the high seas like the world had never seen.
    In exchange, every Czech is bestowed with an honorary rank of captain upon birth, that makes it lawful for them to put it on their business cards or forum handles as in "Kapitan Denis, slayer of strange", without any objections from the authorities, as it is their birthright.
  • @aaaaa
    God doesn't exist. (Ask any Czech)
  • edited November 19
    Yeah, I know they say that.
    No god exists but Allah. Czechs are known terrorists.
  • This is where Santa Claus makes his toys in Ukraine. I want to visit this place! http://santa-shop.com.ua/en/  ;

• @Karpivna
    I want to visit this place!
    I'm afraid you wouldn't understand the Excursion Elf. She talks very fast...