Early Slavic History/Origins Part 1 (video)

Hopefully an unbiased, based in facts Early History of the Slavic tribes in the European continent, made in an education historical Youtube video. By a fellow Slav. 

Comments

• Kosovo je Srbija! Nice video though.
  • Interesting! Big plus for me -> Your excellent English!  :D Look forward to more!  :)
  • What's with the може би не?
  • Bulgarian has a large influence from the Turkic (and Greek, Romanian) language which is why there are some scholars that argue that Bulgarian may be classified as related to Slavic but not necessarily Slavic anymore. Kind of like English has undergone so many changes since it's Germanic origins that it's not really classified as a Germanic language anymore. I am not saying I agree with this but I thought I might as well put something in to the video that acknowledges that there are some scholars that might not put Bulgarian in to the Slavic grouping like I did.
  • And which scholars would those be? Considering I've never heard of a reputable scholar before who would put Bulgarian outside the Slavic linguistic family, or English outside the Germanic one, for that matter.
  • Well with the English it's because of "According to a study carried out at the University of Armindale, New England, Australia in 2006, 56% of English words derive from the Latin language and only 12% comes from German" however I read up that most linguist argue that 100 most used words in English are all of anglo-saxon origin and that the entire sentence structure of English is still anglo-saxon making the language still classified as Germanic.

As for Bulgarian I found this "Elements of the comparative grammar of the Indo-Germanic languages : a concise exposition of the history of Sanskrit, Old Iranic (Avestic and Old Persian), Old Armenian, Old Greek, Latin, Umbrian-Samnitic, Old Irish, Gothic, Old High German, Lithunian and Old Bulgarian. 1," granted the book (is old originally published in 1888) mostly talks about Bulgarian before its pivot and adoption of the Slavic language but it does mention that modern Bulgarian differs from other Slavic languages enough (due to it's early Turkic origin) that it may be considered different. But as I said before I don't agree with these kinds of statements and think that Bulgarian is a Slavic language ergo I mentioned it in the video as a south Slavic language.
  • @MnLaser
    That's stupid! If we have to categorize languages based on the extent of foreign influence, then all the categorization is useless! The whole concept of Proto-Balto-Slavic and Proto-Slavic or whatever is completely useless, since all languages that ever existed have been influenced to some extent, unless it's only spoken on some tiny island in the middle of nowhere, which is inhabited by one indigenous tribe. Every language went through its unique evolution, let it be sound changes or borrowings from other languages.

Bulgarian and Turkic origin? Ha! Bulgarian together with Macedonian form the language family that OCS was based on, which had a huge influence on other Slavic languages in their early development.
    Whoever wrote that book must've been high. Seriously.
  • edited November 21
    Middle Bulgarian. We should reintroduce the small nasal and the ъ at the end. Need a petition now.
    Cheers @NikeBG, noticed you in the comments.

• @MnLaser
    130 years is an enormous time in regards to the development of the historical, linguistic etc studies. And even then, when they were still fighting over whether the early Bulgars were Slavic, Turkic, Finno-Ugrian, Iranic, Mongolic, autochtonous etc, I don't think anybody was seriously suggesting that modern Bulgarian is non-Slavic due to some supposedly Turkic Bulgar basis (most of the remaining Turkisms in modern BG are from Ottoman times).
    Now, I admit, I rather expected that you'd point to Bulgarian grammar, which along with Macedonian is different from that of the other Slavic languages in that it is an integral part of the Balkan Sprachbund and is thus supposedly closer to Greek or Romanian (which, however, is a relatively recent development, as Old and Middle Bulgarian did have a Slavic grammar, as heard in the video above). And before that I expected you'd point to that tendency of conspiracy theories among some nationalistic circles here to claim that we're not Slavs, because Slavs don't exist, because they were created by the Russians or by Catherine personally, so that Russia would have an easier time conquering Eastern Europe. Which is obviously silly, but then again, silly seems to be quite popular today...

In any case, do go on - if you can spark a debate with just the first video in the series, I'm sure the following ones will be just as interesting. :)

@aaaaa
    Yeah, I'm almost everywhere in YT, when it comes to Bulgarian videos (obvious exaggeration). Probably 2nd or 3rd, after that Царъ Самуилъ guy and that BG-American, who always ends his posts with something like "Greetings from an American descendant of Bulgarians from Aegean Macedonia".
  • @aaaaa @NikeBG At moments this is far easier to understand than modern Bulgarian to me. Could be because the narrator is speaking so slowly, I don't know.
    BTW modern Bulgarian I heard in some commercials sometimes sounds like someone is speaking Macedonian (+ъ)  with Serbian Belgrade accent, especially if it's a female speaker.

• @NikeBG well I could have point all those things out but I didn't know about any of them soooo. I didn't do any research in to Bulgarian linguistics as frankly that wasn't the point of the video as I said before I came across a book that said that Bulgarian might not be classified as Slavic so I mentioned it a little with a speech bubble that's all. I can see my Early South Slavic History video is going to be a blast to make (he says ironically) :D 
  • @Dušan You can barely hear Belgrade accent in Belgrade in last 5-10 years, perhaps even more
  • @Shaokang OK, then the accent I consider Belgrade accent :) it all depends on where you hang out, I don't hear many people speaking with Novi Sad accent around here either, actually I can hardly spend a day without hearing Bosnian accent :D
  • Also does anyone know what's up with all these Baltic people being pissed off because I said there use to be Balto-Slavic language I got a bunch of angry messages from them saying how Baltic is nowhere related to Slavic and that I am completely wrong.
  • edited November 21
    @MnLaser ;
    They don't want to be stereotypically connected to Slavs all the time.
    It's frustrating for them when they hear stuff like "Lithuania? Oh, it's a Slavic country, right?" from ignorant foreigners all the time.
    The same happens to Hungarians and Romanians.

Ignorant foreigners see whole eastern Europe as Slavic (which is a good thing), post-communist (which is a bad thing), poor (which is also a bad thing) countries and nobody wants to be perceived that way.
    That's why when French say Germany is eastern Europe, Germans respond "Hell no! Eastern Europe starts at Czech borders." Czechs say "Slovakia is a gradient from western to eastern Europe." Slovaks say "Slovakia is central Europe. :p Eastern Europe starts on Ukraine." And Ukrainians are trying to get away from eastern Europe too. Baltic states according to Balts is northern Europe. Eastern Europe doesn't exist. :D

Nobody wants to be put in a box with other people. That's the main reason why Balts protest.
  • Eastern Europe starts at eastern Germany
  • @Shaokang and at Yugoslavia's north and eastern's borders
  • Technically, the geographical centre of Europe is somewhere around Lithuania, Poland or Belarus, so the only Eastern Europe would be Russia, but oh well...
    Also, I think the Baltic distancing from the Slavic world is, at least partially, similar to the aforementioned tendency of some nationalistic circles (not all, mind you) here to do the same. And it's mainly a reaction against the Soviet/communist legacy. Of course, in the case of the Balts, it also doesn't help that they had been occupied by Tsarist Russia for quite a long while as well.

@MnLaser Oh, yes, the South Slavic video is bound to be the hottest-tempered one, provoking even more discussions than the East Slavic one. So you should probably start with the most peaceful and boring Slavic group, the Westerners, then go East and finally South. ;)
  • edited November 21
    @Dušan Now, I sort of feel weird, because I'm not eastern European by those standards :p
  • @Shaokang igzakli, ju'r saut-istern/vest Balkan Juropijan. Besides Western-Eastern Europe division as we know it comes from the Cold War era and by those standards we are a third world country :D