Movie : "Cyril and Methodius: The Apostles of the Slavs"

Movie : "Cyril and Methodius: The Apostles of the Slavs"

- Trailer for movie

Anyone knows where to find this movie, or whether it exists on the Internet at all?

Comments

• edited December 2017
    Here it is in four episodes. I haven't seen a subtitled version though, so I hope you understand Czech or Slovak.

Btw, on a barely related note, does anyone know if the Croatian Kings series has gotten any English translation by now?
  • So there is no definitly with subtitles, even not on English... i guess
  • @SouthSlav

looks like its time to learn some czech :D
  • Looks like i will not watch this movie, unfortunatly :(
  • I dont recommend this movie as some kind of a history lesson. 

Cyril and Methodius didnt really bring any positive influence to Slavs. 

• edited February 10
    @Azid everyone always claims I talk too much about religion, when all I ever do is defend it, I never start religious discussions just too many people spewing hate. What kind of Slav hates on Cyril and Methodius? You spit on your own heritage 
  • I dont spit on my own heritage and neither do I wanna start a religious fight. I never followed it, I always relied on those "inner voices" so to say. I believe those are my ancestors guiding me through life. Anyways. As for Cyril and Methodius, they were the starting point of destroying our old faith. Im not hating on them. How could I. Theyre dead for 1000 years. 

I agree with you that too many people spewing hate but im not one of them. Its everyones own choice wether they want to be catholic, orthodox, muslim, budhist or pastafarian ....their life their choice. I chose to ignore them and let my ancestors help me in life. I cant trust any monk or priest to help me with life decisions, however I can trust the inner voices which I believe are the voices of my ancestors. Thats my faith, thats how I live my life. Id rather put my life in hands of those inner voices than to hands of any foreign religion priest or saomethig. We have our own VIERA (faith) of our ancestors. We dont need tons of other different foreign religions to divide Slavs even more. Thats why I tolerate the religions and everyones choice to be what they want to be. Taking the religion away by force would cause more harm than good. The people will have to realise this thing about religions themselves to be able to grow more spiritualy and connect with our ancestors and our past.

Mier
  • I bet that for the last thousand years, the vast majority of your ancestors would have been Christians. In any case, I respect your respect, except for your apparent disrespect for Cyril and Methodius' contributions, which would suggest you believe the only true Slavs are the Pagan Slavs.
  • @Azid
    Cyril and Methodius didnt really bring any positive influence to Slavs.
    We probably wouldn't even call ourselves Slavs today if it wasn't for them. Many of today's Slavic nations would be partially or fully assimilated into other nations if we didn't start writing down our language. Pagan Slavs probably wouldn't do that. But I agree that the extinction of the original European pagan religions was a big loss, despite of what @srdceleva thinks about it.

I never followed it, I always relied on those "inner voices" so to say. I believe those are my ancestors guiding me through life.
    It could also be schizophrenia. :o
  • You are wrong about the language. Before Cyril and Methodius came we had a writing language. I have no idea how its called in english but in Slovak its Staroslovienska bukvica. Originally there was 49 symbols. Cyril and Methodius removed 5 important ones and edited few others. 

Then they translated the bible into that "new" language they made. Those who still believe that we didnt had a written language (Slovak: "písmo" - which is another name for the Bible)  before Cyril and Methodius should really look into our history. 

And regarding my inner voices a.k.a schizophrenia a.k.a callitwhatyouwant, well .. my life is good so far. Im happy in my heart, things are going pretty good for me and my family. Call it shizophrenia if you want, its up to you but as long aś this works for me theres no point in changing anything.

Btw, Maybe we wouldnt call "Slavs" but it would be close since even the arabs in 5th century called us something which is pretty close to "Slav". Cant remember the exact name tho so youll have to use google if you want to know that.

• never thought Slovaks would take over the Slavorum from ex-Yugos... 
    @Azid Slavs would become Christian sooner or later, by force or by choice. Cyril and Methodius brought one big thing Slavs should be thankful for, Slavic as an official language of the church. If there wasn't for that, Slavic literature would be set centuries behind, with all the time our ancestors would have been writing in Latin or Greek. Those pre-Christian strokes and incisions (чръты и рѣзы) sure were a huge thing and it's really unfortunate that we've lost it. A lot of Slavic pre-Christian culture and traditions are preserved in Slavic Christianity (especially in Orthodoxy) thanks to work of Cyril and Methodius, they didn't set the ground for that intentionally for sure, but they did.
  • @NikeBG mate i dont disrespect them. I just look at the facts and they clearly show that they helped to destroy our old culture and faith with their foreign religion/cult. I understand that something has to die in order for something to be born/created but this wasnt good for us in Europe. I doubt that there is a single Slav who thinks that we are culturally growing. For the last 1000 years we are on a cultural decline.

Start your own research and find yourself when we started going downhill, when the foreign noneuropean religions started dividing us. Find yourself when we lived in peace without dividing ourselves between catholic, orthodox or this and that. We had one faith back then. Our common faith kept us united and protected us from our biggest enemy - Slavs. Sounds kinda silly huh? But it couldnt be more true, just look around. In just the last 100 years, how many Slavs died in pointless wars and conflicts like you can see in Donetsk and Lugansk where one brother killing another? Not even gonna talk about two world wars in detail, that would take ages (maybe later) and mainly on whos land they were waged. Who was the biggest victim of those wars and who sacrificed the most to end them? ~70 million pointlessly lost lives of mainly Germanic and Slavic people. 

Start your own research on how we lived before catholicism came to Europe. What were the relations between the different lets call them tribes. What kind of "politica system" we used, how we fed ourselves and compare it to this world 1000 years later. Same shit different CENTURY. Slavs are waging wars on their biggest enemy - other Slavs. Brothers killing brothers for what ... foreign politics and religious differences? 

Is it really worth it to argue over FOREIGN stuff that divide us? What if we threw all the historical "punches" behind us and focused all the energy into things that brings us together. 

Last question. What entity or who doesnt want Europe and all the tribes to live in peace and prosperity? Ill give you a hint. They were great and strong enemies but couldnt defeat us militarily. Who is it?
  • Dusan

"Those pre-Christian strokes and incisions (чръты и рѣзы) sure were a huge thing and it's really unfortunate that we've lost it." 

I dont think you understand the importance of a language. Its not just a tool to communicate. Language (at least the old one - staroslovienska bukvica) use to be also a way of thinking. 

What you can see today is written language where one specific sound represent one specific letter which is very simplistic. Simple language leads to simple thinking. Not good for us. 

Btw I agree with you about the old Slavic traditions in Orthodox church. Im so thankful for it but I still think that Europe would be better off if they just didnt come or if they came in other circumstances. Thats it. I dont hate on religions wether its orthodox or catholic. Be what you want as long as it make you love your fellow Slavic brother instead of waging pointless wars like in Donetsk. 

• edited February 11
    @Azid I disagree with your point on writing systems (not language). I don't think it affects our thinking anywhere close to what you're saying. Besides most of our ancestors were illiterate till some 100/200 years ago, they didn't use any kind of writing system. No one's preventing you to write Slovak more complicated, in another thread Denis here and I wrote it in Cyrillic, he wrote it in Glagolic script couple of times too. Go all Polish or Hungarian on it if you like it :D 
    No one is a fan of inter-Slavic conflicts or conflicts of any kind, besides religion is not the reason for Russian-Ukrainian conflict like it was in Yugoslavia, they're both predominately Orthodox. We don't would it be better or worse without Abrahamic religions in Europe, there are too many factors too know that or even assume. In our universe it happened, make peace with it and get the best of the situation.
  • @Azid
    Then they translated the bible into that "new" language they made.
    They didn't make a new language. It was a South Slavic dialect. If you mean Glagolitic, it's a writing system.

Start your own research on how we lived before catholicism came to Europe.
    Unfortunately, we don't have resources. If you had balls to say that tartaria.sk is a resource, I have bad news for you.
    I'm a follower of science and myths are not a good resource to study "history" for me.

Before Cyril and Methodius came we had a writing language. I have no idea how its called in english but in Slovak its Staroslovienska bukvica. Originally there was 49 symbols. Cyril and Methodius removed 5 important ones and edited few others.
    I'd like to see some evidence.

Oh, and it's easy to blame Cyril and Methodius for negatively transforming our culture and society, but you should blame your ancestors that talk in your head instead. Why would they let it happen?
  • @Dušan its debatable that our ancestors were illiterate till 200 years ago BUT you have to take in consideration the fact that our own writing language was edited and 5 out of the 49 symbols completely removed. The man one of the many seminars I attended said that those 5 symbols were important for us in a spiritual way (I might be little wrong on this one so do your own research). We know which 5 of them were removed, we just dont know how to pronounce them. In other words, we know how to write it but we dont know how to read it. 5 out of 49 symbols (bukiev) are gone and few others were edited. Thats 10% less "letters" which added to illiteracy without a doubt.

The old Slavic writing system (Staroslovienska bukvica in slovak) was so "primitive" that they had to remove 5 symbols and edit few others to be able to translate the Bible into their new writing system they made. 

Mate, I've spent around 20+ years reading whatever I could get my hands on about European history. Ofc I dont know everything. The more I know about history the more I realise how little I know but now I know where to look when I stumble upon something I want to know more about.

With all honesty how many of average everyday-people are literate in European history enouh to understand the logic behind it? Not many because people just dont care about education. They get a little bit of info in school system, half of them forgets it right away anyways and 95% of the other half wont use the knowledge anyways. It wont take you long to find few people who dont believe that Slavs had a written language before Christianity. No joke.
    The kids in Slovakia spent 2-3 hours in 6th class learning about Slavs. That's it. I believe you are from Slovakia too so just go and look it up yourself. Soon the people forget completely who they are and then they become truly illiterate. Look around, we are almost there.

• @Kapitán Denis Look mate. You know stuff that I dont and I know stuff that you dont. Thats the point of forums like this one. To spread knowledge. Right?

Im not asking you to blindly believe everything I wrote. Use my comments as a starting point in your own research and if you learn only one new thing it'll still be a success for me. Theres no point of knowing stuff without sharing it with others. ;-) 
  • Let's examine the evidence. If the only document of pre-C&M script is Chernorizets Hrabr's mention of lines and cuts, then the claim that Slavs had a functional alphabet, suitable for the creation of a body of literature is doubtful.
  • @aaaaa and if the Chernorizets Hrabrs script isnt the only document then what? just because certain evidence  is being ignored by international historians doesnt mean its not there. Just because certain archeological discoveries are being ignored doesnt mean theyre not there for you. Dont rely on others to tell you that this is real and this is fake. Take what you have and use your common sense and logic to help you find the truth. 

Those "lines and cuts" in our old language was kinda similar (a bit more simplified) to runewords where the whole "picture" of few runes put together represent one whole sentence or meaning so to say. Staroslovienska bukvica could be read phonetic way or the "picture" way (sry cant explain it any better, my English isnt the best as you can see)

Over the last 1000 years the written language was changed many times. Even the Bolshevics attempted to change azbuka in Soviet Union. C&M werent the only ones who changed the language and every time the language went through a change it became more and more simple thus more and more primitive.
  • @Azid ; old slavic pagan religion was based heavily on Iranian one, so what is originally slavic?