The sound of Slavic accents

edited December 5 in Languages
My first language is Russian despite I am ethnic Belarusian. It’s not uncommon for many Belarusians.

I've heard Slavs of different ethnicities speaking in Russian : Bulgarians, Serbs, Czechs (Czech president speaks Russian , for example), Slovaks, Poles, Macedonians, western Ukrainians who are native Ukrainian speakers.  But never Croats, Slovenes or Lusatian Sorbs. Although, I've heard Sorbian children speaking Sorbian with German accent once.

Ukrainians speak speak perfect Russian with obvious Ukrainian pronunciations. Among southern Slavs Bulgarians speak and pronounce Russian well. Especially older generation. But my favourite accent is Polish when Poles Russian. I am not sure why I find Polish accent pleasant to my ears. :)

Which Slavic accent do you like when those Slavs speak in your native Slavic languages? Or the sound of Slavic languages, if you haven’t heard other Slavs speaking in your language?

Comments

• If this is the type of question I think it is: When Poles speak in Russian.  Less rolls of the tongue, and the "l" is always seeming softer.  Muscovites as well, because Southern Donetsk Russian has words like "Русского" pronounced as "Russkogo" instead of "Russkovo".  Hearing Czech president speaking in Russian, it was slow and deliberate, but still very good, though he honestly sounded a little more soft sounding than Russian speaker.  It don't know if Romanian counts, but if it does, they sound like Italians when they speak Russian in my opinion.  Serbs sound distinct, but not as soft as Poles and Czechs when they speak Russian.  Bulgarians are more close to Ukrainians sounding when speaking Russian, and @Sviatogor already covered what Ukrainian sounds like.  I have not met people of Belarus (only a Pole whose mum was Belarusian) or any South Slavs West of Serbia or of Warszawa (no Silesians, Sorbs, or Kashubians).  I would hope to meet personally a Czech who can speak in Russian, but the one person from Czechia who I know speaks with me in Polish and English.  My Czech is horrific, and no one would ever want to hear my accent trying to adapt to Czech (I would outdo Madusa and my voice would turn all to stone).
  • I must admit I don't like hearing weird accents. There are some Slovak diplomats (e.g. Lajčák) that speak SCBM very well, the accent is almost unnoticeable if you're not looking for it. However there's a Slovak Serbian accent, you can recognize it easily, I'm not fan of that accent per se, but I like hearing it and realizing that there's a Slovak behind it.
    I think I've heard every Slavic ethnicity speak Serbian except Bulgarians and Belarusians. I like the Eastern one the least. They tend to pronounce vowels really weird, palatalize everything and adding that ы sound or e if there are "too many" consonants together.
  • I love all Slavic languages and their sound. Many eastern Slovaks speak standard Slovak without any accent, at least when they're in western Slovakia. It's a shame, because to me eastern Slovak sounds the cutest of all Slavic languages/dialects. Wish they spoke with their accent.
  • To me Serb-Croat sounds the closest to a Latin language out of all the Slavic languages.  Bulgarian words are very similar to Macedonian, but both have their own accent and its easy to spot the difference.

I quite like the sound of all Slavic languages, particularly when a well educated and well articulated Slav speaks in their native tongue.

I also love the Heavy Eastern European (Slavic) accent in English too, sounds cool.
  • edited December 5
    Here's Novak Đoković speaking some Slovak. He has no accent. Serbian and Slovak pronunciation of sounds is nearly identical. I mean standard Slovak.

• Well, basically what Dušan said except I did heard Bulgarians speaking Serbian and it sounds better than Slovenians.
  • @Kapitán Denis Srbsko-Slovenský has different meaning to me. That basically Slovak heavily influenced by Serbian. It's spoken in some minor Slovak communities here. It's mostly thing of vocabulary, but also using some grammatical constructs foreign to Slovak.
    btw Đoković is a polyglot, he speaks several languages and has a gift for it. Trust me there is Serbian accent. It's usually due to those raising and falling tones in accents I'm mentioning all the time. And yeah, Serbs mostly can't pronounce H.
  • edited December 5
    @Dušan All the words he said correctly were pronounced like a real Slovak would. It would be easier to spot a Czech trying to speak Slovak. Plus I've watched a few videos with spelling of the Serbian alphabet. All letters sounded exactly like I imagined in my Slovak brain. :D

Yea, when I was in Croatia, I've noticed the difference in stress or intonation or whatever it is between Slovak and Croatian. It's closer to eastern Slovak than to standard in my opinion.
  • @Kapitán Denis that's true, all the sounds are pronounced the same, except there's no dz and h in SCBM, although I think dz appears in some dialects, but I can't even think of an example. 
    Now, I don't know what part of Croatia you've visited. Dialects on the see side are nowhere close to the standard. But even if they were, Serbian and Croatian accents are of course different, some thin like central and western Slovak, with Serbian being western, the one with harder pronunciation.
    You don't hear that accent in the particular letter sounds but in stress and intonation, I remember we tried to teach a friend to say some phrase with rozprávať in it, he always accented that á with a raising tone, sounding like some easterner and no one down here talks like that. But I don't have a feeling that it mostly sounds like Eastern Slovak, probably because I'm used to it.
  • how is this slovaks accent in Russian? 
  • @Kapitán Denis @Dušan
    Serbian and Croatian pronunciation is indeed very close to slovak, the main difference imo is they are both much harder, and the way L is pronounced in Serbo-Croatian is very pronounced. The accent also falls in different places. Serbo-Croatian pronunciation is very clear though, like slovak. Czech and Polish though both west slavic languages are pronounced radically different. Too many unclear sounds rzszcz

• @srdceleva in his video with 19 languages he speaks in several Slavic languages, when he speaks Serbian he has that Slovak accent, although he accents several words like a native. Slovaks down here (those who have an accent) have slightly different accent, since they are in constant contact with Serbian.
  • @GLK
    serbian and croatian sounds pretty slavic to me. Slovenian sounds almost kind of Greek and Italian though sometimes. 
  • Polish is my favorite. I listen to Polish stuff on Youtube more than any other Slavic language. All the Slavic languages are superb, though. 

In my next life, I am going to have a Polish Boyfriend.  :p

• edited December 6
    @Karpivna I thought you don't like accents. :o
    A while ago you were giving a guy props for having clear English in his video.
  • @Karpivna Being mono-lingual stoopid Americana, I need the English, okay?  :D It doesn't mean I can't enjoy pure, raw Slavic language. Some Slavic languages are very sexy. Even if I don't understand.  B)  :p
  • I like when East Slavic ladies are speaking Polish. Despite East Slavs I don't remember hearing any other Slavs speaking Polish, so can't really tell.
  • edited December 7
    I like when Polish women speak Russian to me. I can understand Polish. Polish sounds cute in my ears.
  • this slovak guy is a freaking genious at languages 
  • @Karpivna
    what was that video hahah!