Mom says we're not Slavs but Roma (gypsies)

Mom says we're not Slavs but Roma (gypsies)

My mother is here tonight, and well...she's a bit of a drunk. She said that she doesn't have to hide around the gypsies at work anymore, and that "we've always been gypsies...everyone knows it, but nobody is supposed to say it." Well, fuck.

Comments

• >gypsies at work

You lost me there.
  • What about genetics?
  • Oh boy, I was into the the sauce quite heavily myself last night. Wish I remembered posting this. I do remember a bit of the conversation. 

I have no idea what she meant by "everyone knows it", but as for the gypsies at work, she means the ones that come into her place of employment. 

@Kapitán Denis GREAT point. I didn't even think of that. 

• Mom just last night, hahaha. The ONLY thing remotely gypsy about her was her nearly-jet blak hair, before it went grey and she started coloring it.
  • edited January 10
    @texczech82
    Sorry, maybe you already wrote it here, but my memory is like:

When did your ancestors come to America? During Austria-Hungary, the first Czecho-Slovakia or after WWII? Did your grandpa use to listen to gypsy music? What do the gypsies at work look like? (No pun intended.)

The original ethnic gypsies came from northern India. Those British gypsies, awry, I call them fake gypsies. Those are just Irish travellers. But in eastern and central Europe and the Balkans, all gypsies have the same roots. Maybe there's a few mixed families.

Speaking about you and your mom, I don't know. You don't look like gypsies. Mixed at most. Sviatogor could tell you better, though I believe I know his answer.
  • @Kapitán Denis

No worries, man. 

"When did your ancestors come to America? During Austria-Hungary, the first Czecho-Slovakia or after WWII? Did your grandpa use to listen to gypsy music? How do the gypsies at work look like? (No pun intended.)"
    The Czech ancestors came here during Austria-Hungary, in the late 1800s. The English ancestors came over a bit later in the even-later 1800s, hahaha. My grandpa listened to two kinds of music: old country & western (think Hank Williams, Faron Young, and Roy Acuff) and what he called "Bohemian music" - lots of accordions and all that. He also listened to Mexican music, but he just called that "our music, just in a funny language." He called pretty much everything else "that boom-boom nonsense." According to my mom, the gypsies that come into her place of work look like her dad, my grandpa (on this forum, it's been said he could pass for a Czech, German, Croat, or a Gypsy, depending on the photo), and Middle Eastern people.

"The original ethnic gypsies came from northern India. Those British gypsies, awry, I call them fake gypsies. Those are just Irish travellers. But in eastern and central Europe and the Balkans, all gypsies have the same roots. Maybe there's a few mixed families."
    Yeah, I'm fairly familiar with gypsy origins. The English ones come in two types: the fake Irish travelers, and the real ones. Some of the "real" ones have bred with the local populace and Irish travelers to the point that they look pretty white. My grandmother, the one whose family came over from Southwest England, has quite a few of those English gypsy names in her family. All the names in my grandfather's tree are Czech (one could just as easily be Polish), Bohemian German, and one common to Jews. All my grandfather ever said about gypsies was "You don't know what you're talking about" when someone would be speaking about them.

"Speaking about you and your mom, I don't know. You don't look like gypsies. Mixed at most. Sviatogor could tell you better, though I believe I know his answer."
    Yeah, I don't think we do much either. Pretty sure Mom was just wayyyyyy too deep into her cups, and I was pretty deep myself. Hahaha, yeah..."Americans of a low social class." Sound about right? 

• Gypsies look like this.
  • @texczech82 What was your first reaction like to the information? :D
  • @Kapitán Denis

Drunken disbelief, essentially.

• For @texczech82 greetings from our table to your table.
  • Gypsies can come in all shapes, sizes and colours, you know. Some can be albinos (like the famous "blonde angel Maria", daughter of the same woman as the big pic below), some can be culturally assimilated into Gypsyhood natives and some can simply be the offspring or mixed marriages/forced marriages/kidnapped babies from the olden days. But, yeah, the true Gypsies are the Indian-looking ones.

• edited January 11
    @aaaaa

Showing this to my mom, hahaha. 

As for me, I sure didn't mind the pole dancer.
  • It's a great song, btw.
  • Image may contain one or more people people standing and outdoor
    My uncle (mom's brother) with a couple nice Mexican examples. I think he looks kinda like Jiri "Big Boss" Valter, of Czech black metal band Root. The girls could be gypsies. Him? Not so much.
  • @texczech82 The girls don't look gypsy to me, nor your uncle.
  • @Kapitán Denis I was being a bit ridiculous, due to their dark skin from being, you know, Mexicans. I don't think he looks the part either, as the guy I was comparing him to looks like this:
    Image result for jiri  big boss Valter
    Coincidentally, the reason i know who this guy is, is because of my uncle, hahaha.
  • edited January 11
    I met a Gypsie guy in my life a long time ago. A little Belarusian girl was kidnapped by Gypsies of Moldova. She won beauty contest among Gypsies of Moldova, when she became older.  She was raised by her Gypsie grandmother. When her grandmother died she decided to return home knowing she's not a Gypsie, as she doesn't look as one. She returned to Minsk.  It's unusual hearing speaking a Belarusian in Russian as a Gypsie having Belarusian physical appearance. Culturally , the girl is a Gypsie! She speaks as one. :)

Image result for
  • I'm also pretty sure my mom doesn't know what gypsies really are.