Anonymous

@Dušan, I think we just had some miscommunication. My first reply to the thread was a general overview what a foreigner encountering Croats might be likely to expect. If you look on online travel forums with non Croat and even non-Slavic visitors to Croatia (i.e. people that wouldn’t have a bone to pick) then the overwhelming response is positive with some sprinkles of negativity here and there (nobody is going to have a perfect experience lol). I responded based on my interaction with non-Croats who have interacted with us. I said a point of contention might be talking about the homeland war and mistakenly referring to Croats as Yugoslavs which will piss off plenty of Croats given the negative experience of the past. That’s it and I think its sound advice for anyone looking to travel to Croatia and/or interact with Croats. Can you link all these videos of the Croatian Sabor talking about nothing but WW2 and Serbs and Yugoslavs? It’s no secret that in Croatia a lot of ex-commies still hold power just like in Serbia. Shaking off that political virus from the past doesn’t happen instantaneously. A lot of Croats are seriously fed-up with Croatian politicians today and there is much regret joining the EU among regular people (at least much more regret and skepticism than before). I try not to equate politicians with people which is why I get along with Serbs and Bosniaks just fine today for the most part.
The Serbs I have encountered are an interesting bunch and the vast majority of them tend to be from Bosnia, Croatia, and the greater diaspora. When they are among their own they are pretty hardcore nationalists regularly praising Cetniks, Seselj, Mladic, etc. When they are around us they tend to change and suddenly become more Yugoslav and want to reminisce about the “good old days” when they were singing Miso Kovac songs too. It’s not like that everywhere like in Australia the nationalist divide is pretty apparent and there isn’t much attempts at ‘Yugoslavism.”  Croats, in contrast, are usually not as likely to swap their sentiments in a ‘snap.’ In this view Croats seem just more consistent with their sentiments whether one agrees with those sentiments or not. TL;DR: There seems to be more of a yearning for Yugo among our neighbors than among us (though some of it exists with us too just not as widespread outside of some communities in Istria and maybe parts of metropolitan and liberal Zagreb).
I’ve talked online to Serbs from Serbia itself and they seem rather different than their brothers from Bosnia, Croatia, and the diaspora. They seem to have much less of a problem with us and they tend to be more solid and secure in Serbdom than their people to the West. I see less Yugonostalgia or sympathy there and more focus on Serbia and distinctly Serbian interests which I actually respect because I respect the consistency. They don’t pretend to try to be our ‘brothers’ one minute and enemies the next. They recognize we’re not the same but neighbors that can possibly share some common goals.
I actually understand your positive opinion about Yugo but I wouldn’t call you a “Yugo” per say unless that’s what you prefer. Many people have a romantic view of that country (some Croats included) and have never witnessed or been the recipient of the “darker” aspects of it. My family, on the other hand, has been the recipient of the less ‘romantic’ aspects of Yugoslavia to the point of lives being endanger so you’ll have to understand there is that perspective as well and I’m not the only one that holds it. Others, especially in the diaspora, have similar experiences with the darker aspects of communist rule.