Anonymous
Quote:
Yes that is the vulgar part I was talking about, that the colloquial language got raised to the literary standard. In a conversation you usually lose some letters, like kao > ko', stol > sto', sokol > soko', historija > 'istorija. Now it is nothing wrong when used in a conversation, but using it as a literary standard is a desecration of the language in my eyes. Unfortunately the linguistic 'experts' see it otherwise, or do not see it at all. Croats are far more stricter concerning that.

That as well.

First of all историја/хисторија does not have anything with Turkisms and so called vulgarisation. It is Greek word and pronoucniation changed during the time. Before times Alexander the Great ἱστορία sounded like historia. After that time lot of phonetical changes occured. The aspirate breathing (aspiration), which was already lost in the Ionic varieties of Asia Minor and the Aeolic of Lesbos, stopped being pronounced and written in popular texts. In thtat way ἱστορία  became to sound like istoria. Serbs (and other Orthodox Slavs) borrowed it from Byzantine Greek (Old Church Slavonic: їсторїꙗ, Serbian/Macedonian: историја, Russian/Bulgarian история, Ukrainian iсторія).
Concerning other changes, it is not desacration language, it is phonetical change which occured. Pointless to preserve sometnig which nobody was pronouncing.

Quote:
Well, I've mostly noticed it in Serbia. Montenegro and Bosnia seem to do this less, though I'm not sure how much less.

Svevlad what are you refering?
I never heard somebody in Montenegro or Bosna to say sokol, stol (except Croats). Also some Bosniaks tend say istorija some historija (before war all of them were using Serbian terminology in scholary works).
Concerning сат and час, сат could be hour and watch and clock, час is hour or moment or class (period of time, lecture in school).

Slavorum

8 User(s) Online Join Server
  • HicksGhostLDN
  • m1tric
  • Das Rheinenfuchs
  • Australian Santa
  • ☭Lil Commie☭
  • Adam's Song