Anonymous
Quote:
A very good point. If a word can't be found in our languages why not trying to look for a substitute in other Slav languages? Why does it have to Latin, Greek, French and lately it's English?

An example
Airport – аэропорт (Russian) – letališče (Slovenian) – letiště (Czech)
The substitute from either Slovenian or Czech would make a perfect sense in Russian language. The word can be modified slightly if needs to be. Летище…! It sounds good to me.

Croats are famous for exactly that method, taking other Slavic words as neologisms or substitutes, rather than taking foreign non-Slavic ones. Eventhough it is laughed at by my generation, as well as by Croats themselves and especially by the Serbs, it is not about my generation, or the generation older than me. The language is there for my children, and grand-children, for our descendants. I may laugh at the word, samohod, but my children won't. My generation may find these words funny and unusable in common conversation, we will surely use the words we learned or are used to, but I would like to see my children learn to speak Serbian and Slavic, not English, German or Turkish.

I hope the trend will proceed, my ancestors used far more foreign words than I use now, and hopefully my children and grand-children will use even less than me.

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Fia
  • Lyutenitsa™
  • Australian Santa
  • mizz goblinaXprezidente
  • vibehours bday ;)
  • Das Rheinenfuchs