Anonymous
Quote:
No those weren't surnames, but old Croat tribes or clans (12 starohrvatskih plemena) from which the medieval nobility eventually descended, not some nobility or just families, but clans (plemena). The tribes or clans we have are the same thing. As for Scotland ?!? what does Scotland has to do with this topic?. And yes their region were the highlands if you didn't notice. It seems I will have to open a topic myself, unfortunately.

I am disappointed that a Croat knows so little about his ethnogenesis. Surnames are built around patronyms, an Ivanovic or Petrovic can be found all around the Slavic world where there an Ivan and a Petar exist, but the thing that makes you an ethnic Croat is your ancestry from one of the ethnic Croatian tribes furthermore the region they inhabited, regardless of the surname you are bearing.

I know about the "tribes", but for most of them nothing is certain and can't be taken as a fact and the whole story isn't written in details at all so first Crots as Tuga etc have more of a mythical statues then a fact. If there was anything like that it was probably the nobility families from White Croatia that were the leaders of the tribes but it doesn't mean everybody under them in the so called "tribe" were of the same surname only meaning they have been the leaders.

As for those surnames most of surnames have evolved from them into different variants:

"Tugomirići. Njihovi su potomci u Poljici Surotvići i možda Mijanovići (danas Mihanovići), također poljičkog porijekla, koji su se naselili u području Žrnovnice. Vjekoslav Klaić u svojoj knjizi Hrvatska prezimena piše kako su od Tugomirića potomci Babići, Sučići i Surotvići. Ta su prezimena, prema Klaiću, živjela do 12. – 13. stoljeća u Lici, a kasnije su se pripadnici sva tri prezimena rasuli po Dalmaciji i Istri."

So from each of those surnames there are dozens of derivations that came from it. If they can be found in high numbers in present day Croatia, of course not, they were nobility and they probably had a thin bloodline as all royal families do…they don't mix with anyone thus don't have a large off-spring and surname expand post-mortem and because of that some of them could have been extinct indeed easily. Most common surnames in Croatia are always the ones of ordinary folk which in turn derived from their occupations or their fathers name, while noble surnames are logically hard to find.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Australian Santa
  • Tosti
  • ☭Lil Commie☭
  • Lyutenitsa™
  • MaRk0V
  • Vuk