Anonymous
Quote:
It sounds sad, if your leaders are not prepared for that today, then they will not do anything tomorrow. I think the problem isn't in a poverty of region but in Rusyn's leaders, more precisely in their absence of normal separatist leaders among Rusyns. Any peaceful appeals to Kiev are useless.. did your people send any requests to Europe? Brussels condemns the Soviet crimes, today the USSR and German nazies are same enemies for European historians and parliamentarians, and many western territories had been illegally occupied in 1939, today they belongs to Ukraine. Only your people can protect yourself against Kiev or any other occupiers, Moscow isn't a friend for you at all, more likely Washington could help you, because your region has a strategic importance for them. In the case of your independence your territory would get good money placement of military bases for example, American troops are often the companions of investment :D  Also, I don't believe, this mountainous region has no ore mineral resources, which could help you at the first time. Many countries have natural resources, but they have achieved success in a short period of time.

Well, I am not Rusyn. I only have Rusyn roots and I also do not live in Subc. R. (fortunately  :))

And I hope there will be no US nor Russian nor any else foreign troops in Central European region. We do not need this region to become a battlefield with important military targets in case of a conflict.

Fortunately, I can see at least a shift in Rusyn activity of Slovakia. Rusyn organizations have grown up, become more active, and some people realized that they are will not be persecuted for being Rusyn, and that Ukrainian politics is ceasing to play role in Slovakia.
For example our current minister of finance, one of our best economists who enjoys respect even on the international level, has openly declared that he is Rusyn. Which is certainly a sign.

Although, it is pity that it is only a sign  :)