Anonymous
Quote:
It's also something I observed: Slavs seem to be far less attracted to chauvinism than Germanics. See relations between us and you for example, except for some rare chauvinist idiots Polish-Ukrainian relations are getting better and better, despite the crimes against Ukrainians during Second Polish Republic and the tragedy in Volyn. Maybe it's because most of the time we were fighting for our survival against occupying powers and so had no time to develop a superiority complex which many Germanics, whose countries for the most time used to be superpowers, seem to have.

The case here is, I think, that Poles used to have lots of "super power chauvinism" back in the days of the PLC. There was also healthy patriotism there to, inevitably. This all went on after the partitions and there were uprisings and lots of Polish stuff brewing. However, after Poland found itself on the map again, that empire mentality was largely gone. Piłsudski, who didn't mind a non-homogenous state, was more for the Międzymorze, or Intermarium Alliance. Roman Dmowski, Piłsudki's rival was all for a homogenous Poland (this led to repressions of other Slavs within Poland's borders), but neither was fervently expansionist and claiming land all over the place.

The Germans, and more precisely the Prussians, were batshit crazy irredentists calling Poland a "seasonal state" to be reclaimed for German administration. The Bolsheviks, Jews and Russians, were also land grabbers at every opportunity. With Poland and Ukraine caught in the middle, I think one can say that the modern sense of our respective nations is based on the Polish-Bolshevik War in which Ukraine played a big role on Poland's side. We have our disagreements, but when the shit gets rough, we are ready to stand together.

Germans and Russians, on the other hand, see the lands between Berlin and Moscow as their wiggle room. This also goes back to circa the First World War when, basically, the modern era started and they wiggled (for lack of a better word) quite a lot at our expense.

Ok, wow, I am veered off the OP here… but back to Lithuania, I think they are just farther back in asserting themselves. They have yet to feel comfortable or choose a direction for their nation. They joined NATO and the EU, but those are increasingly shaky and proving useless. They fear, perhaps rightfully so, another occupation since for them it is hard to imagine anything else.

Slavorum

4 User(s) Online Join Server
  • кошка
  • kony97
  • Fia
  • Tujev