Anonymous
Quote:
Srb or Serb means of the same kin, or of the same people. In a wider sense an old umbrella term for those people sharing the same origin or speaking the same language. This is the traditional way the term is used and understood. The term is today also sometimes used as a synonym for 'brother', denominating those Slavs that aren't necessarily of our modern ethnicity but share the same ideals thus standing on the same side, as in 'moj Srbin'.

There are theories regarding the origin of the name of the Serbs, the most likely one is that it is derived from the Old Slavic root *serb-, meaning "same". The root can still be found in words of other Slavic languages; pol. Pasierb/Pasierbica, ukr. Пасерб – Step son/daughter, a child that was made to belong to the same kin.

Those theories are obsolete for at least 70 years or even more  and in same time they are flagrantly wrong.  Серб does not mean same in Proto-Slavic. Proto-Slavic root for same is *isti-. I think, all members of Slavorum will recognise it.

I allready posted modern theory accepted by PaleoSlavists and PaleoIndo-Europeists:

from Proto-Indo-European *ser- (“to protect, watch over”); akin to Latin servare (“to guard, protect”), Old English searu (“weapons, armor”), Lithuanian sárgas (“watchman”), Greek ἥρως (hērōs, “hero”), Avestan haraiti, haurvaiti (“he guards”)

Quote:
Sebar was the peasant class in the medieval Serbian class system. Those people were also sometimes called Serblji or Serbs in the documents, meaning common folk.

Себар was same as кмет, it was serf. It was not derived from name of nation. Србьлинь, pl Срьблѥ, or Срьбли was ethinc determination of Slavic inhibitants of Raška (diplomas of Stefan First-Crowned, Stefan Vladislav I, Stefan Uroš II Milutin Stefan Uroš IV, Stefan Lazarević)  and Bosna (in diplomas of Matej Ninoslav, duke Juraj Vojislavić, prince Vladislav Stjepanović in documents of Raguzan merchant Pirko Boljesaljić). Sometimes it is used to denote ethnicity of particular Sebars, but it is ethnic name.

I know, that Croatian or Bosniak users could have somewaht different interpretation of medieval Bosna and its Hisstory, but I would like to appeal on them not to off topic. It is opinion held by Sebian historiography, it is based on Serbian POV and interpretation of sources, and I am perfectly aware will never agree on it. Just wish to avoid flame wars. Please, just ignore my posts of such kind, I will ignore yours.

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • MD
  • Stella C.
  • ☭Lil Commie☭
  • Shnickstara89
  • Lyutenitsa™
  • m1tric