Anonymous

@Sviatogor “The examples I provided are valid. If you are confused  about what ethonym can mean, then check the dictionary.”
Again, I have no idea what are you on about, considering nothing of what you say contradicts what I’ve said.

@”Rex Hatson” “Macedonians for example look favourably towards the Serbs because they do exactly that and therefore respect our wishes and rights to self identity. Perhaps Bulgaria could take a leaf out of Serbia’s book, especially since Serbia recognized us as South Serbs at one point, for the same reasons Bulgaria recognizes us as Bulgarians….”
On the latter – not exactly the same reasons, considering “Southern Serbia” was a purely artificial construct with no relation to the ethnic situation of Macedonia at that time. Also, in the last few years I’ve seen plenty of Serbs who ridicule Macedonia’s “historical creation” and consider your identity somewhat of a joke. Of course, maybe they’re being self-ironic, considering hilarious manipulation of history is a common thing for all Balkan countries, especially since the advent of the Internet (and, yes, I include my country in this as well – sometimes I joke that we in Bulgaria have gone to the same lengths in creating outrageous historical nonsenses, 
in order to prove we’re both the same people). In any case, I’d say a much bigger reason for your better relations with Serbia (besides your governors still being from the same old Belgrade nomenclature, as ours are also the same commies) was your recent common past in Yugoslavia – living together in one country can bond people, after all (heck, we can see the same even in the EU, although it’s not really a country). That and the fact that it was Yugoslavia which established the Macedonist idea as a national doctrine, of course.

@GLKCan someone please explain to me what happened in Pirin Bulgaria when they started to recognise the population as Macedonian?  Did the people of Pirin actually want this?  And what was the intention of doing this – to eventually merge them with Vardar Macedonia to make a larger Macedonian state?  I could not envisage Bulgaria giving away territory to create a larger Macedonian (slavic) state, I just don’t believe that would ever happen.”
Recognise is not really the correct word. As I’ve mentioned in regards to my side of the family which was affected by this policy, they were definitely not happy with this. Not only were they listed as ethnic Macedonians by our own authorities, without even asking (then again, do commies ever ask?), but they even brought teachers from Yugoslavia in our schools, to teach us how to speak the new Macedonian language correctly (though there are many memories of such young YugoMacedonian teachers being confused about this language themselves). As for what was the intention and why such a thing almost came to fruition (and not only in Macedonia, btw – there were plans for the creation of a Shoppish, Thracian and Dobrudzhan nations as well) – immediately after the war, while Stalin and Tito were still buddies and our Georgi Dimitrov was Stalin’s loyal puppy, they decided that Bulgaria should join Yugoslavia. That wasn’t a completely new idea, btw – ideas for a true Yugoslavia, encompassing all South Slavs, had existed even before our liberation from the Turks. But this was the time when we came the closest to it. Of course, since Bulgaria couldn’t be a Yugoslavian republic in its full size (Serbia itself was divided to several Yugorepublics, IIRC, so this wasn’t a purely anti-Bulgarian move, as some might think), it was decided that Pirin Macedonia should be given to the Yugoslav republic of Macedonia (and the rest of Bulgaria should be divided to the aforementioned Shoppish/Thracian/Dobrudzhan republics). In order to prove our seriousness, our commies began that Macedonization campaign in Pirin Macedonia as a precursor to the merger. However, a few years later, Stalin and Tito broke up and so did the prospect of greater Yugoslavia (our commies, of course, sided with Moscow). Then a couple decades later, in the 60s and 70s, our commies sank to a new low, when they were even considering to propose becoming (voluntarily) the 16th Soviet republic. Needless to say, our governors ever since have been more or less the same, even in regards to us joining the EU without any referendum whatsoever (I personally rather like the prospect of the EU, despite its flaws, but that’s not the point).

“Can someone also please explain to me, is the dialect of Pirin Bulgaria the same as Vardar Macedonia even to this date?”
No. I’m not sure on which Macedonian dialects was the new language based (f.e., as previously mentioned, modern literary Bulgarian is based mostly on our eastern dialects), but in any case, the official Macedonian language of today has endured a considerable Serbian influence. They’re still closely related, of course, and Serbian influence in general exists on all Western Bulgarian dialects, Shoppish/Torlakian included, it’s simply bigger in the official language of the Republic of Macedonia.