Anonymous

@NikeBG @aaaaa 
I used to identify myself as a Macedonian, more from a regional perspective as I knew my history well enough, just like my great grandparents, grandparents before me, as our ancestry came from Northern Greece / Aegean Macedonia. I found that many of the relatives that stayed in Greece became Greek, and lost their Macedonian identity.  Further to complicate the matter, we were all baptised Greek Orthodox, and we only had Greek schools/churches in our region of Aegean Macedonia.  There are many slavs that stayed in Greece and slowly turned into Greeks, cultural changes can take generations. I never went to Greek school as I was not born there. I am now a Greek citizen to obtain an EU Passport, and although I don’t speak Greek well, I can speak my slavic dialect well enough. I found it too controversial using the Macedonian name, as I had many Greek friends, which would take offence to the use of the name.  So now I just call myself Greek, and if anyone asks me why I don’t speak greek well, then i say I’m slavic.  Slavophone Greek, Slavic Greek, all same thing really.  So yes, I am a Greek citizen and Slav.

Can someone please explain to me what happened in Pirin Bulgaria when they started to recognise the population as Macedonian?  Did the people of Pirin actually want this?  And what was the intention of doing this – to eventually merge them with Vardar Macedonia to make a larger Macedonian state?  I could not envisage Bulgaria giving away territory to create a larger Macedonian (slavic) state, I just don’t believe that would ever happen.

Can someone also please explain to me, is the dialect of Pirin Bulgaria the same as Vardar Macedonia even to this date?

Only recently I’ve started listening to Bulgarian pop and folk music, and its funny some artists I can understand completely, whilst others use some words which are totally foreign to me.  Whereas, if I listen to music from Vardar Macedonia, I understand it completely.