Anonymous

Women from the Sutjeska region accepted Queen Katarina as their mother, and they mourn her even to this day. The legend originating from the vicinity of Kraljeva Sutjeska says:

When forced to leave Bobovac before the invasion of the Turkish army, Katarina said she would never forget the villages Dragovići and Mijakovići, for her married daughters Dragica and Milica were there, and so was her Liješnica wheat, her Bukovica fish, and water from the Radakovica river.
[hr]

In the village of Borovica, there is a tale saying that the Bosnian King was resisting the Turks for seven years, from Bobovac, by firing millet and white beans at them. When the Queen set out from Bobovac, she traveled through Voznice (Donja Borovica), and upon reaching Repišta she stopped and said:

Farewell to you, you my glorious Bosnia,
And to all of my three belongings;
The water from the spring of Radakovica,
The fish from Bukovica,
And the wheat from Liješnica.

[hr]

According to folk tales, the hill Vis on Bobovac, containing the remains of the castle and northern bulwark of the town, is an entirely artificial dike. It was made in only a single night, for the purpose of protecting Queen Katarina, in the main castle-tower, from the Turkish cannons firing from Meteriz.

How fast and strenuous the people worked to make the embankment is proven by the following: “that night, seventy-seven pregnant women had a miscarriage, and seventy-seven mares brought forth a colt.” Once Queen Katarina realized she could not defend the town, she requested from the Turkish commander to allow her to leave with all of her belongings and wealth, but actually it was the amount she could load on fifty horses.
[hr]

In the vicinity of the village of Višnjica, near Visoko, above the confluence of the Zenika and Rijeka streams, there exists the remains of a medieval fortress that allegedly belonged to Queen Katarina.

The water from the mountain Čemernica would be brought into town on rowboats. The Queen had a herd of sheep on that same mountain, and when the Turks besieged the town, shepherds from Čvrsnica stopped the delivery of water to the town and instead sent milk on rowboats.
[hr]

Even to this day, people in Kraljeva Sutjeska tell the story of Queen Katarina’s escape from Bobovac to Jajce:

When she reached the town of Jajce, she had to go back because Jajce was also under seige. She decided to shoe her horses in a reversed way, placing the circular part of the horseshoes on the back of the horses’ feet. This led the Turks, who were following her, in the wrong direction, however, they still managed to capture her children and convert them to Islam.
[hr]

There are numerous legends about the names of toponyms of certain locations that Queen Katarina passed through while leaving Bosnia. For example, a legend says that the town of Zenica got its name after the following event: in the location where Zenica is today, Queen Katarina stopped, thinking of Bobovac, and said: “Alas, my z(j)enica (1) is left behind.” On Ozren mountain, Katarina stopped and turned around, and this is how the mountain was named. After going further, hungry and thirsty, she started praying to the Mother of God, then she thrust a distaff into the ground, making a spring which people call the Queen’s Water. On the hill Gostilje, the local folk brought out plenty of food to serve and cater (ugostiti) the Queen, and that is how the place was named. The village of Ostrvica was supposedly named after the Queen said: “Oh my, I have eaten too well.” (2)

[li]The word

zenica, or zjenica, means the pupil of the eye.[/li]
[li]The word ostrviti, or najesti, means to eat too well.[/li]

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Lyutenitsa™
  • m1tric
  • Shvo
  • Симеон
  • vibehours 4 days
  • Das Rheinenfuchs