Anonymous
Quote:
I don't know how to introduce this topic… however, I think it is interesting to extrapolate the meaning of words. At the end I was able to discover, thanks to a word, that they can connect us to ancient beliefs. I always wondered why it was said in Polish "Niedźwiedź" for bear (from what I know, there are similar words in other slavic languages). I discovered that its meaning is "honey eater". Was not appointed with the original Indo-European word for bear, since both the Slavs and the Germans were afraid to name it. To respect that led to this animal, they chose a paraphrase, medv – edi.
The bear was a sacred animal, totemic, whose figure inspired respect and fear. If not mistaken the bear also had healing powers, in fact if I remember correctly his claws were a precious object. So for a variety of reasons, our ancestors decided to adopt a paraphrase to call the bear (the Germans have chosen to take its name from the brown bear).
This is the first interesting word, connected to the ancient beliefs, which I found. I hope to find others! You in your language you know any?

Thanks Rod718. Very interesting tread from the linguistic point of view  :)

The translation of the word 'niedźwiedź' (bear) in Polish will be easier through Russian equivalent 'mied-vied'. It literally means someone who knows everything about honey (med-miód-honey + vied-wiedzieć-to know). Poles simply replaced the letter 'm' with 'n', but Russians preserved it  :)

Many Slavic words can be translated this way. Try to explain ‘rzeka’ or ‘reka’ (river)  ;)

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • MaRk0V
  • Australian Santa
  • Симеон
  • LukaVader
  • Shendelzare Silkwood
  • Lyutenitsa™