Tsar :: Emperor
    Despot :: King of a reign under the rule of the Tsar
    Kralj :: King of a reign without the rule of a Tsar above

MIDDLE
    Knez :: Prince or sometimes Duke
    Župan :: Ruler of the

župa, a territorial sub-unit
Ban :: local ruler
Bojar :: freemen, avaible for conscription, allowed to carry weapons and own land, obliged to go to war (boj)

LOW
[size=8pt]as title -[/size]
Starješina :: Head of the zadruga, a rural community
Otac :: The father of the family

[size=8pt]as class – Sebar, common folk[/size]
Meropah :: serfs, obliged to pay fees and taxes to the lord
Vlah :: herders, not obliged to pay fees, but obliged to pay yearly tax
Zanatlija :: craftsmen
Sokalnik :: similar to serfs
Otrok :: arguably slave, could also mean squire
[/li]

Similar or same like in the rest of Europe of that time, the peasants worked for all, the bojars (barons) fought for all, the clergy prayed for all. I am not sure if the bojar class is documented somewhere in the Serbian historical documents under that name, like in Bulgaria or Russia, Dalibor knows better I hope, I believe those people were simply denominated as ban's and vojvoda's here.

I have to add that Knez and Župan were pre-Christian High titles, one became a king only after acknowledged by the Church as such, 'by the grace of god'.

Well, this is high middle ages, not structure we discussed before. Despot is high Byzantine title, not connected with title of King (rex), Byzantines differntiate it. It came in Serbia 1346, well King is ruler title and in Mediveal Serbia it was above Despot as well, (Dušan's son was King, later King Vukašin, Emperor Uroš's V co-regent). Otrok is not servant. It was slave. Literary it means child.

Bojar is I think of Turkic origin. In Serbian tradition it is Boljar. (It came to us from Bulgaria). It denoted high nobility whic participated in Sabor (Parlaiment).

Slavorum

12 User(s) Online Join Server
  • m1tric
  • Shnickstara89
  • Australian Santa
  • Shendelzare Silkwood
  • LukaVader
  • Vuk