Anonymous

Aye, in Bulgaria we eat carp (or any kind of fish, if you can’t afford or simply don’t like carp) on my namesday, the 6th of December. While on Christmas Eve we eat only lenten/meatless foods and on the table they must be of an odd number (usually 7, 9 or 11). These usually include oshav (“kompot” from dried fruits, usually plums), meatless sarmi (which, for some reason, always taste best then, at least in my experience), beans soup, stuffed peppers, boiled wheat, fruits and/or others (f.e. in my area – a mix of vinegar, garlic and walnuts is traditional). Also, of course, a round bread with fortunes (pogacha s kasmeti). As Karpivna mentioned, traditionally the food is left on the table overnight (and nobody should get up from the table during dinner) and for those with a fireplace – a special big log, called badnik, should be left to burn all night long. Also, in the evening (or in my area – the next morning) groups of young men, called koledari, walk from house to house where they’re gifted with various food types (particularly a special small bread, called kolache in my place) and sing ritual songs for health, fertility etc. (Not to be confused with the survakari, btw, which are younger boys which go from house to house after New Year and beat people on the back with a decorated branch, again for health.) Also, when I was a kid, I used to play with my grandfather something similar to a game of marbles, but instead of marbles we used walnuts rolling down from a roof tile (and on the first day of Christmas he’d traditionally catch some sparrows to be roasted; until I got upset about it, at least).