Anonymous

The dialect spoken in Koprivštica belongs to the so called Pirdopski govor, which is the westernmost variant of the Balkan supgroup of East Bulgarian dialects. While having an Eastern Bulgarian reflex of the Proto-Slavic *ě (i.e. ja as opposed to West Bulgarian e), it shares some traits with West Bulgarian, and is transitional between those two groups.
Technically, modern standard Bulgarian was based on the Balkan dialect, so what you'd hear from the mouth of an elderly person in Koprivštica would not be very different from what you'd hear on the Bulgarian TV. There is however one trait that distinguishes the pirdopski govor from other Balkan govori, which I assume would be perceived as very "Slovenian-esque" by a Slovene, and it is the articulation of what was once sonant r and l.
For example, кървав 'bloody' in the mouth of a Koprivštenec sounds like ['krəvaf] as opposed to standard Bulgarian ['kɤrvɐf].

The relation between Slovenian and Bulgarian dialects is somewhat broader theme, though. The southeasternmost Bulgarian and the northwesternmost Slovenian dialects once formed a continuum (sometimes you'll stumble upon a "central vs lateral" division of South Slavic, it's because of that); some Rhodopean dialects have evolved some phonetic reflexes identical to those found in Slovenian, e.g. o< PS *ǫ(zob, dob, roka etc.), ol<PS *ьl (volk, bolha etc.); Bulgarian stress accent is very close to the one found in Slovenian non-tonic idioms (this is also a result of convergent evolution rather than a genetic similarity); and, overall, I think in some situations Slovene and Bulgarian can be surprisingly mutually intelligible, despite being very distant in some aspects and geographically removed from each other.  :)

Slavorum

8 User(s) Online Join Server
  • m1tric
  • Симеон
  • Adam's Song
  • Lyutenitsa™
  • CampmakerZA
  • LukaVader