Anonymous

"Zimy" is simply zima 'winter' in genitivus, not a proper name, and this "demon of winter" doesn't correspond to any actual mythological character. About Korochun – originally Proto-Slavic *korčunъ was one of the names of winter solstice or/and the rites related to it; terms derived from it still have meanings like "Christmass' eve", "Christmass" etc. in various dialects, while in Central Russia koročun was indeed the name of an obscure malevolent being, related to that time of the year. But it was never a deity.  :)

Relatives of the gods… We have detailed accounts on, say, Ancient Greek or North Germanic mythology, and in those accounts there is often an elaborate genealogy to be found. This is, however, not the case with Slavic mythology. There are only three sources that mention genealogical relations of some kind:

1) The Old Russian translation of John Malala's chronography states that Dazhbog was son of Svarog; however, "Svarog" and "Dazhbog" in that source are merely Slavic interpretations of Hephaistos and Helios in the original text, and we simply don't know whether they really had such relation in Slavic mythology or not.

2) Old Russian Lay Of Igor's Regiment mentions "grandsons of the gods" three times – winds as grandsons of Stribog, the "wise singer" Boyan (a shamanistic figure, in the broader sense) as grandson of Veles, and Russian rulers as grandsons of Dazhbog.

3) Helmhold Von Bosau in his Chronica Slavorum claims the Slavs believed that all of their gods were descended from one celestial deity.

And that's all. The theory of Croatian scholars Katičić and Belaj about Perun's large patriarchal family, the kidnapping and adoption of the deity with a name derived from the root *jar- by Veles, and the incestuous marriage that follows is summarised well in the respective Wiki articles ; I'm very partial to it, but I don't think the thesis is very well grounded, and I find it too, erm, brave to be taken at face value, although I generally support Ivanov and Toporov's "basic myth" theory from which it stems. Anyway, you decide whether you believe it or not.  :)

The problem with Slavic mythology studies is that you have to know at least Russian and/or Polish, since the main works in that sphere from 19th and 20th century alike are written in those two languages.

Have a look at this too:
http://drevnosti.org/the-slavic-antiquities/46-pantheon/70-pagan-cult-in-kievan-rus-the-invention-of-foreign-elite-or-evolution-of-the-local-tradition

Edit: misspelled something  :)

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • LCaine
  • Lyutenitsa™
  • Australian Santa
  • Bjelas
  • redrockin
  • Shvo