Anonymous

I don't know much about embrodiery, woodwork etc., my interests have been always more focused on oral tradition – so I'm not especially competent when it comes to symbols. A few notes, nonetheless:

1.The thread is excellent and I think most of the pictures posted in there are authentic. However, some of the interpretations have to be taken with a grain of salt. I guess you've figured out that names like "the wheel of X god", "the star of Y god" could be nothing but recent inventions. Such symbols in embrodiery will usually have simplistic names like "circle", "sun", "moon", "curve" etc. Of course, we can guess that "thunder sign" was indeed related to Perun, the solar symbols – to Dazhbog, etc., but that's about it.

2.The "kolovrat". Swastika is a very common symbol in the embrodiery (and not only) of many Slavic peoples, if not all, but it was never called that way. *Kolovortъ meant spinning wheel, and it still means the same in Czech, Slovak, Slovenian, Polish… It is a name that suits the symbol well, the problem is, there is no evidence it was ever applied to it. Furthermore, I'm yet to see an authentic depiction of eight-legged swastika anywhere in Slavic embrodiery, woodwork, or archeological artifacts.

3. "Ręce Boga" (The Hands of God) – while it seems to be popular amongst Neo-Pagans, it was taken from a single vessel from Przeworsk archeological culture, which was likely not Slavic.

Slavorum

3 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Shnickstara89
  • MD
  • Lyutenitsa™