Anonymous

Rodv is correct – standarized exams and "teaching to the test" has meant a lot of Elementary and Highschools in America and Canada are shifting towards the East Asian model and this means schools no longer emphasize socialization. 

My understanding is that European Highschools and Colleges have far more socialization than we have here. Maybe it's an exaggeration but I have read stories such as students and professors in German / Czech universities can often be seen drinking together a beer at lunch or in the evening.

In fact, the increasing trend is that schools are now pushing a hour of homework per class and being in five to ten classes means Highschool students have a bigger workload than College Majors.  It doesn't seem to correlate to any improvement in Math or English grades, because students who need to put in several hours a day in order to learn Math are finding they have to complete daily homework assignments and bi-weekly projects in various non-essential subjects.

Like I remember having to write 500 word essays for Drama of all things.  It's like these teachers assume kids have zero obligations outside of their classroom.  Highschool kids are not College Students, at minimum they're expected to eat a family dinner table for a hour each night.  I myself had to do that but was also enrolled in multiple sports after school and my parents forced me to socialize, so I wonder at times how I even managed it all.

I also had work co-op (a class that was mandatory) where they wanted everyone to volunteer for 30 hours and be employed for 100 hours between January to June (corporations wanted minimum wage workers, no doubt).  So everyone lost about 130 hours of potential study time  :-X

Never mind that a lot of children these days are plugged into their Laptops / Ipads at lunch hour.  Even some Schools require their students to own laptop, so it only encourages less socialization (or they only socialize through the internet).

Would you homeschool your children

1.  No children
2. If I had children (  ;D )

I think it comes down to the opportunity cost.  A hypothetical wife of mine could stay at home and teach the children but this education will come at an opportunity cost of $20,000 or more (the hypothetical lost salary from my Wife quitting her job in order to teach the children fulltime).

"no jake" (no joke) that children are expensive.  Not only do you have to buy multiple bedrooms, and feed these children, you're proposing that someone give up work to teach children (seems like people, even when their children are young, would be paying $35,000 a year to homeschool their kids).