Anonymous
Quote:
You just said you thought it was a good tradition, and that was with the naming after grandfather thing, which would make it even less names.

Lots of Slavic nations are beginning to name their children all sorts of westernised, non-Slavic names that have no real meaning behind them, or meanings that aren't relevant to us.

Would you rather that, or have a handful of names in your family that has eons of history and meaning behind it, respect for your forebears, and tradition ingrained within it?

Well, I ment it for both. ;) Look, my grandmas brother is Franc. Their father is Franc. My grandpa is Franc. His father was Franc. But that's not so relevant. Today, it's "funny" if someone's name is Franc (for young people). But I don't like all those made-up names that are modern and inn today. Why should one have to stick to 3 or 5 names and why should one just adopt some weird western names? You're going from one extreme to the other, no offence. IMO (I'm speaking for Slovenia), traditional names like Franc, Janez, August, Jože etc. are outdated, sadly. Noone names his children so anymore although Slovenes are known among South Slavs as Janezi. But you can give them variations than seem more modern, like Jan or so. And then you have a big palet of traditional names that are still in use. Like Matej, Marko, Gorazd, Miha, Matic etc. There's always a middle way.

Sadly or not, old Slavic names aren't popular in Slovenia since a long time. Rare survived until today: Borut, Gorazd, Črt … On the other hand you have many names with Christian origin that are also fully Slovene: Janez, Jože etc.