Anonymous
Quote:
Well, I ment it for both. ;) Look, my grandmas brother is Franc. Their father is Franc. My grandpa is Franc. His father was Franc. But that's not so relevant. Today, it's "funny" if someone's name is Franc (for young people). But I don't like all those made-up names that are modern and inn today. Why should one have to stick to 3 or 5 names and why should one just adopt some weird western names? You're going from one extreme to the other, no offence. IMO (I'm speaking for Slovenia), traditional names like Franc, Janez, August, Jože etc. are outdated, sadly. Noone names his children so anymore although Slovenes are known among South Slavs as Janezi. But you can give them variations than seem more modern, like Jan or so. And then you have a big palet of traditional names that are still in use. Like Matej, Marko, Gorazd, Miha, Matic etc. There's always a middle way.

Sadly or not, old Slavic names aren't popular in Slovenia since a long time. Rare survived until today: Borut, Gorazd, Črt … On the other hand you have many names with Christian origin that are also fully Slovene: Janez, Jože etc.

It was supposed to be one extreme to the other, to make a point. If you HAD to choose, would you rather a handful of recurring Slavic names within a family, or name them something like "Jesika?" I know what I'd rather.

That being said, as you just pointed out, names change with the times. So maybe names like "Janez" become outdated, and are replaced, which is just what happens – people move forward. Although, personally I think the name Janez sounds awesome :D

Much cooler than "Matej" or "Mateja." To me, that name has always sounded kind of gay. I equate it with the even gayer-sounding German name Hanz. Also, Jože sounds much too like Spanish "Jose," a name that irks me greatly for some unexplainable reason.

So in conclusion, go with Janez :D

Quote:
I guess it comes from peoples' general attraction to things that are new and individualism. Having a name different to everyone else makes you more recognisable and you. I can't be sure but the odds are that there is no one else in the world with my name, nor has there been, because both my surname and first name are rare and come from two different cultures. But I still rather have a Slavic name than a completely individual name.

Yeah, all part of being individualistic and no longer belonging to anything or anyone. The world is going to hell, one baby named "Apple" at a time ;)