Anonymous
Quote:
I think they're trying to be different from Croatian standard xD "Dakanje" is actually more "complicated" than infinitive it involves a bit more words and changes the sentence xD Also, it is impossible to use "dakanje" in some constructions instead of infinitive – Ona neće jesti- Ona neće da jede. The first one means "She won't eat" while the other one means "she doesn't want to eat".

Oh, politics ::) I don't understand this Yugoslav obsession to be different.

Quote:
All Štokavian standards (Bosnian,Croatian,Montenegrin, Serbian) officialy have the locative case, but in reality the locative of singular is almost always equal to dative but with a preposition . Compare: Pisati pismo prijatelju – Misliti o prijatelju, Posvetiti vreme poslu – biti na poslu. Štokavian plural locative was alive in some Štokavian dialects but in east-hercegovian it merged with the instrumental case. Ironically – that  dialect is taken as the basis of all 4 štokavian standards  ;D

So are there dialects today that still use locative in it's full form? Sorry, I don't live over there so I can't observe these differences.

Quote:
Dative is fully alive only in singular declination. In plural, it is mixed with instrumental. ("Dao je svojim sinovima" instead of "Dao je svojim sinovom" ). Therefore, it means that the plural instrumental is mixed with dative. So instead of "Putovati sa svojima prijateljima" we say "Putovati s svojim prijateljima".

To be honest, I like Dative when it's mixed with instrumental though that could just be because 'svojima' sounds odd to my ears. How's the situation in Vojvodina? Is the Serbian spoken there standard Serbian?