Anonymous
Quote:
Wow, I didn't know that. As a Slav myself, I feel very bad to know that this has happened and to try to understand what happened a long time  ago which has affected the history of the Romans and the Slavs.

Yes, as it means "slave", I guess you can imagine we don't like to hear it out of their mouth. In return we call them makaronarji or provoke them with the saying "Trst je naš" or we kick Lahi butt. :) In times of the Venetia republic Slovenes peacefully lived with them in Beneška Slovenija, they even had a few privileges. But with the rise of their agressive nationalism we became an obstacle on the way and they finally stole Trst, Gorica and Benečija.

Quote:
I  wonder if the word Slavic has something to do with the Sava river. Was it a Celtic name or a Slavic name?

P.S. I came across the name of Shavli from a reference source in Wikipedia but not sure on which subject. :)

I doubt it is Slavic as the Latin sources refer to our ancestors on that ground as Sclavenoi, Sclaveni and other similar names. So wouldn't it be more logical that the river would be called Sclavus (they aparently weren't capable of the direct letter combination S-L, so they put C in between) if it would be called after Slavs? And what meaning should it have among Slavs?

For Šavli, I must say he came up with a few good discoveries (like his explanation why the Carinthian CoA looks like it does) but he is so fanatic about the Venetian theory and other nonsense (for instance, connecting Slovenes and Scandinavians or also Bavarians, based on a dozen of words that are a bit similar …) and thus can't be considered a serious scholar by the broader public.

Quote:
It's clearly not connected with Celts (my humble opinion).

No offense, but why not? Do you know it has no meaning in the Celtic language of the former inhabitanst of that area?