Anonymous

Thanks man. I’ll have a look at it. Even if the year it was written is 1982, which makes me feel sceptical ;)

Jūratė Laučiūtė is a renowed scholar. I don’t think you will find a better research on the subject.

Back in history (middle ages), Lithuanian language was used only between poor local people. The dukes spoke Russian or Polish (it depends on which period). So of course it was influenced by Slavic. But the local language was Lithuanian, which was one of the ancient Baltes languages. Only two are left today – Lithuanian and Latvian (which is much more influenced by Slavic).

Some literature was published in Lithuanian language in Lithuania Minor which was part of Germany (eastern Prussia) at the time. So, some educated people used Lithuanian language in eastern Prussia.
Suvalkija (current north-eastern Poland & south-western Lithuania) also had written traditions . But as you mentioned , the Lithuanian language was used in rural areas of Baltic speaking Lithuania. It was also the case for the Belarusian language, although the situation with the Belarusian language was not as bad . Old Belarusian lost official status in the GDL in 1693 and literary tradition was broken till early 20th century. There were educated people speaking Belarusian language in Vilnius and Minsk in the 19th and 20th centuries, who codified modern Belarusian literary language which is largerly based on the dialects spoken between Minsk and Vilnius at the time. However, most literature in Lithuania (Lithuania & Belarus) was published in Polish after 1693 and also in Russian after 1795. Ironically, it’s Lithuanians who kept the language, while many Belarusians switched to Russian. Maybe the fact that Slavic languages are similar made it possible for Belarusians to switch between Polish and Russian languages in some circumstances.

Yes, Lithuanian has a couple of dialects. They are, however, completely understandable.

How well could Samogitians and Dzukians understand each other if they did not know standard Lithuanian?

Also bear in mind, that the Baltes lived in a much wider territory (to the east), not only the Baltic sea region. That’s according to the water-names and different location-names etc.
So I believe we have quite a few similar genes with you :)

I am aware of the fact that Belarus has many Baltic hydronyms. A majory study conducted by two leading linguists O. Toporov and V. Trubachev showed that more than 80% of hydronyms in Belarus are of Baltic origin.

Are you a Lithuanian?

Many researches consider the Baltes as a civilisation with a distinct kind of religion. It was kind of paganism similar to buddhism – the self perception as a unity with the nature. All the territory is very dense with sacred places – stones, springs, forests etc. Baltes also had an advanced proto-state organisation. I’ll check if I can find the book about the Baltes in english.

Hmm… I read about similarities between pagan traditions with Zoroastrianism but not with Buddism. Could similarities with Buddism be coincidental and the hypothesis is far-fetched? Baltic pagan religion is not that different from European pagan religion. It’s very similar to Slavic, certainly to the pagan traditions of the Belarusians. Many pagan traditions of Lithuanians and Belarusians are indistinguishable. There is a good coverage on Belarusians and Lithuanian in Balto-Slavic studies : http://www.inslav.ru/izdaniya/arxiv/8-2009-08-05-10-47-42/108–l-r

Sacred stones, sacred grooves, sacred spring perun/perkunas – the god of thunder; pagan heaths with oak-trees and fires, the cult of grass snakes. A myth similar to that of Eglė the Queen of Serpents fairy-tale. And many others. A pagan heathen with sacred oak and sacred stone and fire survived in Minsk till early 20th century. The stone is a museum of stones : https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%94%D0%B5%D0%B4_%28%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%83%D0%BD%29

Lithuanian and Indian ties may come from the fact that Lithuanians preserved many archaic features and traditions. It’s also the case with northern Russians as northern Russia seem to be the most conservative region in Russia and possibly among many Slavic regions meaning northern Russians retained many archaic linguistic features and old traditions. As for Indo-Iranian connection, I believe Slavs had it more than the Balts, which is evident from archaeology, linguistics and mythology.

The below text is written in Sanskrit. Every word has cognates in Slavic languages

“…Dame vidhavā jīvati. Damas navas asti. Dame agni asti: vidhavā damam tāpayati. Catvāras sinavas na santi dame: avikās pāsanti prastāre. Navā snuṣā na budhyate: supyate. Vidhavā etām snuṣām bodhayati: “Paca mānsam!” iti. Snuṣā havate: “Devaras, bharata avikām!” iti. “Katarām?” iti. “Tām tanukām, devaras” iti. Trayas devaras jīvām avikām bharanti. Avikā ravati. Devaras etām avikām mārayanti. Snuṣā meṣam darati, mānsam pacati, dhūme vartayati. Vidhavā sūnum havati: “Vaha madhu!” iti nodayati. Sūnus ravati: “Nūnam, mātar!” iti. Sūnus madhu vahati.  Vidhavā  sinum sādayati, snuṣā devaram pāyayati. Nūnam catvarās adakās sīdanti, mānsam adanti, madhu giranti. “Madhūpītis jīvayati, mātar!” iti ravanti…

We discussed the text in another topic : http://www.slavorum.org/forum/discussion/5388/cognates-in-indo-european-languages/p1

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Fia
  • (o)possum tamer 🐀 (kris)
  • jorgos
  • 'las
  • Tujev
  • kony97