Anonymous

@GLK Yeah, we use “kenef”, though it’s a relatively rude form. Of course, there’s also a number of alternatives, like “the two zeroes”, the WC (pronounced “vetse”) or just “that one place”.

@”Kapitán Denis” At least in Bulgarian, banya is a bathroom and vana is a bathtub. I hadn’t thought of a common etymology for the two words before though. Still, I don’t think Slavs have that shift from b to v, at least not in the same way Greek does.

@texczech82 For the Poles it’s quite obvious (well, at least to Slavic-speakers, admittedly) – it probably comes from “pole” = “field”. I’d guess that across the whole Slavic world there are also similarly named sub-regionalities (f.e. the people from my part of the old Shopluk, in the Sofia city area, were called “polyantsi” (and there’s also another group of non-Shop polyantsi-hartsoi in Northern Bulgaria). Also, the adjective forms for “Polish” and “field” are the same – “polski” – which can be somewhat confusing sometimes (does “polska mishka” mean “field mouse” or “Polish mouse”?).

Slavorum

4 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Tujev
  • kony97
  • Nefario
  • Russ