February 1, 2018 at 8:53 am #446308
The school in Skobelka village was first mentioned in 1892. The record says, ‘As of 1892, St. Nicholas’ parish church has 755 parishioners, 34 tithes, 1717 sazhens* of church land (*sazhen is an obsolete unit of measurement equal to a fathom) and a church school’.
In 1912 a village school was also opened, with just one class and one teacher, L. V. Babiy. It evolved into a regular school by 1928–1929.
A school inspection located on Naberezhna street in an ex-landlord’s house bulit in the early XX century. Nobody knows when exactly it was built, but the building managed to survive through two wars. Maria Valyuk and Yevdokiya Zaitseva remember it being a brick house with columns and lots of rooms along both sides of a huge corridor with school classes in the end. At first there were only four classrooms, so there were two school shifts. The school had its own orchard and pond.
G. Bezemski, a famous judiciary expert, remembers going to that school, and confirms that it was a large brick building. It was managed by schoolmaster Nazar Yakovlevich Dimnich, a Ukrainian from Gorokhov. There were about 10 teachers in total, including Devshuna, Zaitsev, Atliokov, Waisumna, Puzo and Sklyanchenko. There were 7 grades, and 35 first-graders. There were two school shifts because all the kids couldn’t fit in only two classrooms. The other rooms were occupied by various inspection workers. The older children went to school in the morning, and the elementary school shift started after lunchtime. There was a flag pole in front of the school. First thing every morning, a white and red Polish banner was raised there. Among other school subjects, there was Religion class, taught by the local priest.
The school had a 1–5 grading system. During Poland’s rule, corporal punishment was practiced: children who misbehaved would get slapped with a ruler across their hands or made to bow continuously while standing on their knees.
…blah blah yada yada this is where I got bored translating it; anyway then the Soviets came in 1939, but the school continued to work after just a short break, and the new schoolmaster lived inside the school building with his entire family, and then the inspection workers moved out so now the school could have just one regular shift, and many teachers were Jews. A Soveit pioneer organization was installed. There was also a Komsomol organization in the village, but it only had two members. Things were bearable until 1941. Many villagers and teachers went to war, so the school closed again. Classes resumed under the Germans. All Jewish teachers were either killed or taken captive. The main teaching language was still Ukrainian. In 1943 there was a raid on OUN, and the schoolmaster was suspected of being in cahoots with them. It caused him his life; he got hanged along with other suspects from the village. The bodies were left hanging from poles set up along the village road, as a warning to others.
After 1947, the school continued to exist, with lots of talented teachers as witnesses claim. The building had no electricity though, just like the rest of the village. So evening classes were dimly lit by gas lamps. The students could barely see each other let alone their notebooks. So the villagers decided to build a wind power plant. By 1948 it was built, a joint effort of the villagers and the students.
Blah blah, lots of teacher names. Then the school was rebuilt and relaunched by 2004 with both government funds and donations from the locals. And now it’s all modern and cool, even with a computer class. Ta-daaa.