Anonymous

@srdceleva

Phylogenetic tree shows relationship and topology commonly used in linguistics and genetics. There’s plenty information on how this method is used.

—-

That’s from monograph by a known linguist Zhuravlyov. He presented a list of lexical distance distances and I ran MDS plot. It is important to note that the lexicostatistical comparison between the languages was done at “proto-Slavic level”

Old Slavic (Old Church Slavonic) — 1124 words
Bulgarian — 3262
Macedonian — 2035
Serbo-Croatian — 4568
Slovenian — 3519

Czech — 4264
Slovak — 2933
Polish — 3350
Upper Lusatian — 1895
Lower Lusatian — 1574
Polabian — 452
Kashub-Slovincian — 1683

Old Russian — 2681
Middle Russian — 3834
Southern Russian — 3833
Ukrainian — 3905
Belarusian — 3288

Authors in the study you posted didn’t revise the Swadesh list.  The lists of words for many languages ncluded loan-words from other languages or inaccurate translations, which described in the study I posted. It’s a recent study from 2015.

Rusyns of Slovakia, Serbia and western Ukraine appear to speak different dialects. Rusyns of Slovakia maybe most similar to Slovak. In the phylogenetic tree Ukrainian_Bogdan is a dialect of Hutsuls of Ivano-Frankivsk region , which is a subgroup of Rusyns. They speak a similar language to that of Ukrainian.  I know there’s more to a language than common lexicon. But how can one quantify other features of the languages and make a comparison?

Actually, I created a PCA plot based on frequencies of common phonems in Slavic languages that suppose to represent ‘the sound picture’ of the languages. The degree of phonetic similarities between Slavic languages Data were obtained from formal study.

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Tujev
  • Nexius
  • յ eֆֆе
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • Oliver (TW BLOCK)
  • ca$hbunni