• This topic has 4 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Плач/płacz/plač – one of the oldest literary genre characterized by lyrical and dramatic improvisation on themes of misery, death. Плач is widespread in traditional Russian ritual rites and everyday folk poetry.

I propose to share your discovered or known examples of such laments in your countries as this is the most authentic form of folk art, and I think we will find a lot of similarities. Traditional Russian laments preserved in old Russian language, sometimes not so clear today.

PS: during translating I convinced even more that English is so poor language as it is practically impossible to convey the full range of emotions, reflected in the plach.

[img width=700 height=311]http://i.imgur.com/kix8p.jpg”/>

Отлетела моя матушка,                    Otletela moja matuška,                      My mother flew away,
    Оставила меня жить во горюшке!  Ostavila menja žit' vo gorjuške!          Left me to live in sorrow! 
    Как я без тебя буду жить,                Kak ja bez tebja budu žit',                  How I'll live without you,
    Я еще молодёшенькая,                    Ja ešče molodješen'kaja,                      I’m so young,
    Ум у меня близнёшонькой,              Um u menja bliznješon'koj,                  I’m not so wise,
    Во сиротстве жизнь горькая,          Vo sirotstve žizn' gor'kaja,                  Life in orphanhood is bitter,
    Нет у меня батюшки,                      Net u menja batjuški,                          I have no father,
    Нет у меня матушки,                        Net u menja matuški,                          I have no mother,
    А кругом я — горька сироточка!      A krugom ja — gor'ka sirotočka!          No one around me – a poor orphan!
    Придет-то лето тёплое,                  Pridet-to leto tjeploe,                          When the warm summer will come,
    Закокует-то в поле кокушечка,      Zakokuet-to v pole kokušečka,          When the cuckoo will cuckoo in the field,
    Загорюю-то я, горька сиротиночка,  Zagorjuju-to ja, gor'ka sirotinočka,  I will grieve, a poor orphan,
    Без своей-то родимой матушки,        Bez svoej-to rodimoj matuški,          Without my dear mother,
    Без своего-то родимого батюшка!    Bez svoego-to rodimogo batjuška!  Without my dear father!
    Тяжело-то мне тяжелёшенько,          Tjaželo-to mne tjaželješen'ko,          It's hard, it’s so hard!
    Никто-то меня не пригреет,              Nikto-to menja ne prigreet,              No one will warm me,
    Кроме солнышка, кроме красного,    Krome solnyška, krome krasnogo,    But the sun, but the red sun,
    Никто-то меня не приголубит,          Nikto-to menja ne prigolubit,              No one will caress me,
    Никто-то меня не приласкает,          Nikto-to menja ne prilaskaet,            No one will fondle me,
    Кроме матушки-то моей родимой!    Krome matuški-to moej rodimoj!        Besides my mother, my dear mother!
    Была бы моя матушка,                        Byla by moja matuška,                      If my mother were here,
    Был бы мой батюшко,                        Byl by moj batjuško,                          If my father were here,
    Разговорели бы меня, разбавили      Razgovoreli by menja, razbavili        They would talk to me, they would save me
    От тоски-то от кручинушки,              Ot toski-to ot kručinuški,                    From my anguish, from my grief,
    От великой от невзгодушки!            Ot velikoj ot nevzgoduški!                  From my great adversity!
    Куды-то я ни пойду,                            Kudy-to ja ni pojdu,                          Everywhere I go,
    Куды-то я ни поеду,                            Kudy-to ja ni poedu,                          Everywhere I ride,
    Нет-то моей матушки,                        Net-to moej matuški,                        There is no mother,
    Нету моего батюшка!                        Netu moego batjuška!                      There is no father!
    Пойду-то я во полюшко,                    Pojdu-to ja vo poljuško,                    I'll go to the field,
    Пойду-то я во чистое;                        Pojdu-to ja vo čistoe;                        I'll go to the open field;
    Летят-то два голубя,                          Letjat-to dva golubja,                        Two pigeons are flying there
    Летят-то два певучия,                        Letjat-to dva pevučija,                      Two singing pigeons are flying there,
    Летит-то не мой батюшко,                Letit-to ne moj batjuško,                  It’s not my father flying,
    Летит-то не моя матушка!                  Letit-to ne moja matuška!                It’s not my mother flying!
    Спрошу-то я, сироточка,                    Sprošu-to ja, sirotočka,                    I will ask them, me, an orphan,
    Спрошу я их, двух голубёх,                Sprošu ja ih, dvuh golubjeh,              I will ask two pigeons,
    Спрошу я их, двух сизых,                    Sprošu ja ih, dvuh sizyh,                    I will ask two blue-gray pigeons,
    Не батюшко ли мой,                          Ne batjuško li moj,                            Are you my father?
    Не матушка ли то моя?                      Ne matuška li to moja?                      Are you my mother?

Anonymous

This is another amazing part of our culture. Spasibo for this thread. :)

PS: during translating I convinced even more that English is so poor language as it is practically impossible to convey the full range of emotions, reflected in the plach.

This is so true!!

Anonymous

[table]
    [tr]
    [td][img height=258]http://s14.postimage.org/ow74nuls1/naricanje_i_naricaljke_u_sprovodu_ili_pokopu_610.jpg” />[/td]
    [td][img height=258]http://s17.postimage.org/ts12h38lb/Naricaljke_na_sprovodu_250x250.jpg” />[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

The Lament (serb. Naricanje, Tužbalica)
    [hr]
    An old Serbian tradition shared also by southern Croats, 'Naricanje' is a song expressing grief, regret, or mourning, sung by the mothers, widows, sisters and daughters of the deceased. The interesting part about it is that woman that were good at it, called 'Narikače', used to earn their living by 'crying' at the funerals.

[table]
    [tr]
    [td]A 'Tužbalica' from Serbia[/td]
    [td]"Can I pay for a cry?"[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

Anonymous

There is a lamentation with the cuckoo performed by women in eastern Belarus & western Russia over people who died earlier than expected i.e. children, young men in war conflicts. It’s performed in forests, fields and in the gardens occasionally.

An example of plač over lost son.

[IMG]http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4578/page5z.png” />

There are two excellent articles both written in Russian

“Е. Н. Разумовская. Плач с «кукушкой». Традиционное необрядовое голошение русско-белорусского пограничья “  (по материалам экспедиций 1971-1981) written by E. Razumovskaya page 160 : http://www.inslav.ru/images/stories/pdf/SBF-1984.pdf

Article by A. Nikitina : http://www.folk.ru/Research/Conf_2002/nikitina.php?rubr=Research-conf

Anonymous

Young wife mourns her husband's death.

Припаду да я ко матушке сырой земле,            Pripadu da ja ko matuške syroj zemle,                      And I fall down to the wet Mother Earth,
    Я ко этой, победна, к муравой траве,              Ja ko etoj, pobedna, k muravoj trave,                        To this juicy grass so miserable I will
    Воскликать стану, горюша, умильнешенько:  Vosklikat' stanu, gorjuša, umil'nešen'ko:                    Exclaim in sorrow, touched:
    — Поглядитко, моя ладушка,                            — Pogljaditko, moja laduška,                                      – Look at me, my Ladushka,
    На меня да на победную!                                Na menja da na pobednuju!                                      At me so miserable!
    Не березонька шатается,                                Ne berezon'ka šataetsja,                                          It's not the birch swaying,
    Не кудрявая свивается,                                    Ne kudrjavaja svivaetsja,                                          It's not the curly birch twisting,
    Как шатается-свивается                                    Kak šataetsja-svivaetsja                                            Swaying and twisting –
    Твоя да молода жена.                                      Tvoja da moloda žena.                                              It's me, your young wife.
    Я пришла, горюша-горькая,                              Ja prišla, gorjuša-gor'kaja,                                        I came here, in bitter grief
    На любовную могилушку                                  Na ljubovnuju mogilušku                                            At my beloved's grave
    Рассказать свою кручинушку.                          Rasskazat' svoju kručinušku.                                    To tell you about my sorrow.
    Ой, не дай же, боже-господи,                        Oj, ne daj že, bože-gospodi,                                      Oh, Good Lord, oh God, do not let me
    Жить обидной во сирочестве,                          Žit' obidnoj vo siročestve,                                          To live in sad orphanhood
    В горе-горьком вдовичестве!..                          V gore-gor'kom vdovičestve!..                                    In sorrowful widowhood!…

Life of Russian women has always been very hard: large family, hard physical work, many were not able to stand it. A phenomenon of Klikushi (women hysteria) is widely known in Russian village. From the ancient times such behaviour was considered as possession by the Devil, and was treated only by priests, but it is likely the hard work and the loss of loved ones which affected the state of mind.

Anonymous

Not the usual kind of Plach – a soldier complaining about his fate, being forced to serve in a foreign land.

Сторона ль ты моя, сторонушка,          Storona l' ty moja, storonuška,              Oh, my land,
    Сторона моя незнакомая!                      Storona moja neznakomaja!                  My unfamiliar land!
    Что не сам я на тебя зашёл,                  Čto ne sam ja na tebja zašol,                I was not my choice to come here,
    Что не добрый меня конь завёз,            Čto ne dobryj menja kon' zavjoz,          It was not my good horse to take me here,
    Не буйны ветры завеяли,                      Ne bujny vetry zavejali,                          Not the wild winds took me here,
    Не быстры реки залелеяли —                Ne bystry reki zalelejali —                      Not the fast rivers took me here-
    Занесла меня, доброго молодца,            Zanesla menja, dobrogo molodca,        Took me, a good fellow, here,
    Что неволюшка солдатская,                  Čto nevoljuška soldatskaja,                  It is soldier’s captivity,
    Грозна служба государева!                    Grozna služba gosudareva!                  It is sovereign’s service!
    На чужой дальней сторонушке              Na čužoj dal'nej storonuške                  On this distant unfamiliar land
    Ни отца нету, ни матушки,                    Ni otca netu, ni matuški,                        There are neither my  father nor my mother,
    Ни брата, ни родной сестры,                  Ni brata, ni rodnoj sestry,                      Neither my brother nor my sister,
    Ни младой жены, ни младых детушек!  Ni mladoj ženy, ni mladyh detušek!      Neither my young wife nor my youthful kids!
    Как на чужой дальней сторонушке        Kak na čužoj dal'nej storonuške            As in this distant unfamiliar land
    Что ложился я, добрый молодец,            Čto ložilsja ja, dobryj molodec,              I, a good fellow, lay down to sleep
    На голых досках без постелюшки,          Na golyh doskah bez posteljuški,          On bare boards without a bed,
    Умывался я, добрый молодец,                  Umyvalsja ja, dobryj molodec,              I, a good fellow, washed my face
    Что своими горючими слезами,              Čto svoimi gorjučimi slezami,                With my bitter tears,
    Утирался я, добрый молодец,                  Utiralsja ja, dobryj molodec,                  I, a good fellow, wiped myself
    Я своею полой правою!                          Ja svoeju poloj pravoju!                        With the right end of my coat!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • kony97
  • Tujev
  • Fia
  • Nexius
  • 'las