• This topic has 11 voices and 36 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

[IMG]http://www.pepe.com/uploads/events/7091272981131.jpg”/>

Poland’s National Independence Day marks the anniversary of the country’s independence in 1918. It is celebrated as a nationwide holiday on November 11 each year.

Background

Poland regained its independence on November 11, 1918, after 123 years of partitions by Austria-Hungary, Germany, and Russia. On November 11, 1918, the Polish Military Organization’s secret departments, demobilized soldiers, and legionnaires disarmed the Germans in Warsaw and other Polish towns. The Regency Government appointed Józef Pilsudski as commander in chief over the Polish forces and 3 days later he was given complete civil control. He formed a new centralized government which on November 21 issued key measures including a manifesto of agricultural reforms. Pilsudski also brought in more favorable conditions for the workers and called parliamentary elections.

November 11 was announced a national holiday in 1937. However, it was removed as an official holiday from 1939 to 1989. The holiday was restored in 1989 and has since been a national public holiday.

Anonymous

Happy holiday Poles

Anonymous

Congratulations to our Polish brothers and sisters. I hope this song is appropriate. :)

JAN PIETRZAK – ZEBY POLSKA BYLA POLSKA – (by L )

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Congratulations to our Polish brothers and sisters. I hope this song is appropriate. :)

JAN PIETRZAK – ZEBY POLSKA BYLA POLSKA – (by L )

Yes, this song will never get old :)

Trailer of Independence March 2013, Warsaw

Marsz Niepodległości 2013 zwiastun

Anonymous

Anonymous

It's a day late, but happy Independence Day to all of our Polish members.  Sadly, in this area of a very large Polish heritage, most didn't even realize it.  Linden, NJ had a small celebration and that's about all I read about locally. 

Anonymous

Congratulations. :)

Anonymous

Poland’s Independence Day celebrations turn violent again

Poland’s Independence Day celebrations were disrupted by violent riots for the third year in a row as large groups of masked young people threw stones, firecrackers and set fire to cars during a march in downtown Warsaw by thousands of nationalist activists.

Some of them tried to climb the fence at the Russian Embassy after setting a guard's booth ablaze.

Police responded with rubber bullets, tear gas and stun grenades, while detaining several rioters. Five police officers and some other people were taken to hospital with injuries.
    Poland's Foreign Ministry spokesman, Marcin Wojciechowski, condemned the actions at the Russian Embassy in Warsaw in particular. "There is no excuse for hooliganism," Wojciechowski wrote on Twitter in reference to rules on the protection of foreign missions.

National Independence Day, celebrated in Poland on November 11, is the country’s most important public holiday marking the restoration of Polish independence in 1918, when, after 123 years of partitions by Austria, Prussia and Russia Poland reappeared on the map of Europe as a sovereign democratic state.

From 1939 to 1989, celebration of the holiday was forbidden. After the collapse of communist government, the holiday regained its significance.

The official 95th Independence Day anniversary ceremony began Monday morning in Warsaw's Pilsudskiego Square with a 21 gun salute. Attending were the speakers of the lower (Sejm) and higher (Senat) parliamentary houses, Ewa Kopacz and Bogdan Borusewicz, PM Donald Tusk, government officials, veterans and diplomats.

“Tribute should be given to all who fought for the rebirth of independent Poland”, Polish President Bronislaw Komorowski said in his Independence Day address.

Afterwards, President Komorowski, PM Tusk and accompanying troops, many dressed in World War I-period uniforms, plus dignitaries, led a 'Together for Independence' march through the streets of Warsaw.

Later in the afternoon, nationalists and right wing groups organized their own 'Independence March'.

http://www.warsawvoice.pl/WVpage/pages/article.php/26409/news

Anonymous

So they threw stone, flares etc? They look upon us too much I'd say, but I don't see a reason why did they do it on a national independence holiday

Anonymous
    Quote:
    So they threw stone, flares etc? They look upon us too much I'd say, but I don't see a reason why did they do it on a national independence holiday

Sadly violent riots become kind of tradition here on this day. The reason is simple: they will be shown in media in prime time on prime day in the year.

[img width=557 height=700]http://ocdn.eu/images/pulscms/M2E7MDMsMCwyZDAsMSwx/504e5fbbf8f8bf21f5e787ce2f947016.jpg” />

Anonymous
    Quote:

There's a small group of people (mostly football club supporters) who happen to like fighting and destruction. For them it doesn't matter when and who they fight, it's just the opportunity that matters.

So they join that march and then provoke some fights. It's even better for them because everyone is expecting it to happen.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    [img width=557 height=700]http://ocdn.eu/images/pulscms/M2E7MDMsMCwyZDAsMSwx/504e5fbbf8f8bf21f5e787ce2f947016.jpg” />

I always knew this. poland is mordor!

Anonymous
    Quote:

I always knew this. poland is mordor!

Such generalisation is exaggerated, but one can have such impression when watching some events on this special day.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Sadly, it reminds me of protests against Kosovo independenc here.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Sadly, it reminds me of protests against Kosovo independenc here.

Really? Elaborate, please.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • slovborg
  • Tujev
  • Piachu
  • кошка
  • Glockamole
  • some slavic guy...