• This topic has 7 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Russia gears up for the 200th anniversary of the battle of Borodino

http://m.npr.org/news/front/160453589

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Russia gears up for the 200th anniversary of the battle of Borodino

http://m.npr.org/news/front/160453589

I've heard that Croats showed themselves in good light during Napoleon's campaign in Russia.

Anonymous

One of most importnat events in Russian History.  Phyrric victory and Strategic defeat of Napoleon.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I've heard that Croats showed themselves in good light during Napoleon's campaign in Russia.

it depends on what do you consider "good light" :)

Anonymous

The ironic thing is that by defeating the grand army, the tsars were unable to consider any reform as unimportant.  This doomed the autocracy in the long run and left Russia behind in modernization

Anonymous
    Quote:
    One of most importnat events in Russian History.  Phyrric victory and Strategic defeat of Napoleon.

I've never heard it put so succinctly. Dalibor, aside from professor of Slavic history, are you also professor of English?  :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    The ironic thing is that by defeating the grand army, the tsars were unable to consider any reform as unimportant.  This doomed the autocracy in the long run and left Russia behind in modernization

Yes, birth of the Decembrist movement from young officers who had marched to Paris with Alexnader I.

Anonymous

Wonder what Napoleon would have done if he defeated Alexander? Would he have placed a relative on the throne ?  Would he destroy the serf system and introduced continental law?  Or would Russia have been dismembered into smaller kingdoms?

Anonymous

I think he'd make smaller kingdoms for they were easier to control and put some relatives on the thrones (like ussual for him). A great battle, anyway. And "sadly" it weren't the Russians who defeated Nappy but the good old typhus. ;D
    I don't know about the Croats but the Saxons made a good charge if I remember right.
    [img width=700 height=520]http://www.ozarkairfieldartworks.com/images/uberlebenden-l_1_.jpg” />

http://my.opera.com/tachien/albums/slideshow/?album=824921
    Here's a link of a quite known Borodino panorama. It shows the charge of the Saxon Life Guards and a contra by Russian Cuirassiers.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I think he'd make smaller kingdoms for they were easier to control and put some relatives on the thrones (like ussual for him).

I agree with this point, but I can't imagine how he could control the whole country from Europe to the Pacific Ocean and Alaska. Maybe Eastern parts of Empire would get independence.

Quote:
    And "sadly" it weren't the Russians who defeated Nappy but the good old typhus. ;D

Typhus and frostbite in Napoleon's army were consequences of tactics of the Russian Army, so with some stretch, it can be considered as Russian biological weapons :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    A great battle, anyway. And "sadly" it weren't the Russians who defeated Nappy but the good old typhus. ;D

Well, Russians were not that bad. He was loosing considerable ammount of soldiers in that battles. French nad allies lost 45,000 dead and captured icluding 47 generals, while Russians lost 40,000 men and 23 generals. Other battles would usually end in high death tool of French troops.

I just forgot to mention this campaign of Napoleon, preserved Ottoman domination in Balkasn for century. Russians were forced to sign peace treaty with Ottomans, and this war made them unable to help Serbian rebells, who were exhausted from years of constant wars with Turks.
    Next year, when Russians were still fighitn Napoleon, four massive Ottoman armies break Serbs. But, in 1815 Serbs rebelled again. This uprising made Serbia Autonomus prinicpality. (Russian diplomatic pressure was essential, but who knows what would happened in Napoleon did not interefere)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well, Russians were not that bad. He was loosing considerable ammount of soldiers in that battles. French nad allies lost 45,000 dead and captured icluding 47 generals, while Russians lost 40,000 men and 23 generals. Other battles would usually end in high death tool of French troops.

I just forgot to mention this campaign of Napoleon, preserved Ottoman domination in Balkasn for century. Russians were forced to sign peace treaty with Ottomans, and this war made them unable to help Serbian rebells, who were exhausted from years of constant wars with Turks.
    Next year, when Russians were still fighitn Napoleon, four massive Ottoman armies break Serbs. But, in 1815 Serbs rebelled again. This uprising made Serbia Autonomus prinicpality. (Russian diplomatic pressure was essential, but who knows what would happened in Napoleon did not interefere)

The Russians would lose if there would be a battle which would make a final winer and loser. But they prefered guerila fighting most of the time. They sepparated their army in two halfs and they were doing it well only after the retreat from Moscow. In the early stage the Russians "niso imeli za burek". Anyhow, they on afterwards. :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Tujev
  • Glockamole
  • jorgos
  • haver25
  • kony97
  • GOGA