Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Natalia K.
    Natalia K.
    Participant
    @natalia-klimczak

When it’s hot outside and the last thing you want is eating something hot and heavy, you have to try Slavic ideas for the summer food. Although some o
    [See the full post at: 6 Slavic Ideas For Summer Food]

Olga Kysil
    Participant
    @olga_kysil

Great article, Natalia K.! Two Slavic dishes I enjoy in the summer.

Bulgarian Shopska Salad. I’m sure it would be even tastier if I access to actual Bulgarian Cow’s Cheese. 😀 Are Bulgarian cows different from other cows??? Something I often ponder.

Cucumber Salad – Mizeria. I remember at age 12 standing in the kitchen with my 80 year old Ukrainian Aunt Martha, while she instructed me on how to make this delicious and refreshing cucumber salad.

I try to eat Farm-to-Table as much as possible. Support your local farmers or grow your own produce! Buy a few Bulgarian cows! I’m sure the neighbors won’t mind. 😀

NikeBG
    Participant
    @nikebg

If the cucumbers are not part of a Shopska salad (or, of course, ovcharska etc), I personally like them the way my great-grandpa used to – cucumbers, vinegar, maybe some dill and of course some salt. Preferably eat the cucumber slices at the bottom of the plate, as they’re the ones dipped in the vinegar (naturally, I didn’t like vinegar at all as a kid, until my great-grandpa showed me how to make and eat this). Otherwise, this Mizeria salad seems slightly similar to one of my favourite winter salads (after the Russian salad, of course), which we call Snezhanka here (and which is supposedly very close to the Greek tzatziki). Still, Shopska’s the best, especially now that we have some homegrown Bulgarian tomatoes (which are one of the things which make the biggest impression on the more gastronomically-inclined foreign visitors here (which we’ve “recently” found out why, due to the imported plastic and tasteless Polish tomatoes one can find on our markets now)).

As for our cows – meh, it’s just the technology, I guess. I think we South Slavs have pretty much the same white cheese (sirene or sir), which is not quite the same as feta, even if feta is the usual replacement in the West. Still, since you don’t have Bulgarian tomatoes, you don’t need to worry about not having Bulgarian cheese either. Maybe just visit the Balkans instead. 😛

P.S. Also, that Shopska recipe video is… not quite how it’s done.

Edit: Btw, since we’re talking about sirene and I’m in a chatty mood, here’s a video (with English subtitles) about one of the guys who stands at the basis of yogurt becoming popular outside the Balkans (and just like Greek feta isn’t sirene, Greek yogurt isn’t kiselo mlyako):

Olga Kysil
    Participant
    @olga_kysil

Food for today’s Polish American Festival in my local area. I’m hungry already!

Velka Opice
    Participant
    @velkaopice

@olga_kysil that all looks so, so good.

aaaaa
    Participant
    @aaaaa

Shopska needs roasted peppers and doesn’t feature olives.
    Pictures:
    1: ?
    2: ?
    3: Looks fine
    4: Looks fine

Velka Opice
    Participant
    @velkaopice

@aaaaa first picture looks like pierogi, and the second is the delicious Czech/Slovak/Polish delight known as holoubky. Cabbage rolls in tomato sauce.

aaaaa
    Participant
    @aaaaa

Velka Opice – There seems to be some kind of vegetable matter in those pictures. I hope they removed it thoroughly before consumption.

Dušan
    Participant
    @dusan

@Olga_kysil

Are Bulgarian cows different from other cows?

Well, last time we spoke of Bulgarian cows around here one of them was almost executed for having a chat with her Serbian neghbours, so it’s safe to presume they are unique 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • 'las
  • Piachu
  • kony97
  • Lyutenitsa
  • Drizzt
  • БЕЗНОГNМ