• This topic has 2 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Would anyone mind helping me? My paternal family is apparently Belarusian (according to my grandmother) but I have family in Lithuania and Latvia as well as Minsk. This would mean that they could have been Polish, but they all spoke Russian and not a lick of Polish. Any ideas on what ethnicity they were?

Anonymous

Hi Bernhard. :) What religion did your ancestors practice? How have your family members self-identified? Just because a person speaks a certain language does not indicate ethnicity.

Anonymous

@Karpivna Hey, well my grandmother and uncle also state that my grandfather and his family were Polish, my dad says that they were Belarusian and my grandfather proclaimed himself a Lithuanian. They were Christian, but I’m not sure whether they were Catholic or not. This is were the confusion arises from <span>:expressionless:</span>
    I believe that they are a mix of Baltic, Polish and Russian people, but I’m probably mistaken.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Also, forgot to add, the Soviets often attacked my family, one of my uncles got shot in the leg by a Soviet soldier during the war (not only was he badly injured, he was 7/8 years old). 

Anonymous

@”Bernhard ” The Soviets targeted your family? Do you know why? That’s awful to shoot a child. :(  There are two villages named Dobrovlyany in Grodno? Do you know which one belonged to your grandfather?

Anonymous

Yes, the one in region Lwie, near Subotniki.

Anonymous

Bump

Anonymous

Thanks for that little edit Mod, actually relevant to my question (not). They weren’t Polish, if it was that simple I wouldn’t ask random peeps on the inter webs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.