Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Kapitán Denis
    Participant
    @kapitan-denis

Let’s talk about the Bible, cooking, Slavic languages and zhivot.

aaaaa vs Jesus

Srdceleva
    Participant
    @srdceleva

this would be the first thread you open up on here!

do you at least admit that faith is good for some people?

Dušan
    Participant
    @dusan

you didn’t ask me, but of course it is. Life with faith is usually more comfortable and at peace, just like childhood is more carefree than adult life (no offence intended). I liked having an all powerful being by my side, but now I simply can’t go against my reasoning. On personal level faith can be extremely good thing for an individual as long as they don’t go nuts with it.

NikeBG
    Participant
    @nikebg

Even religion can be good for (some) people, as it strengthens the “Us vs. Them” mentality and thus creates in-group bonding. Hence why f.e. we’re being repeatedly told in my country that the Orthodox church is the reason why we survived the Ottoman yoke (which I don’t fully agree with, as it forgets that the Greeks were Hellenizing us exactly through their control over the church during the Phanariotic times).

Shaokang
    Participant
    @shaokang

Certain part of population needs faith because otherwise they would fall into temptation to do some bad things, but ethic code which most religions have stops them to do so. So yes, I think its good for some people.

Kapitán Denis
    Participant
    @kapitan-denis

Every person should have something in their life that gives them meaning, joy, love, (mental) strength and maybe even reason to live. If it’s faith, I don’t have a problem with it, as long as it’s something positive. It’s just not my case. Faith will never be the fuel that drives me through my life.

However, I don’t like it when people try to push their belief system on other people, especially by “brainwashing” or “indoctrinating”.
    I don’t like the fact that when you’re born into a deeply Christian family, there’s a great amount of pressure from your relatives. You’re raised as a Christian.
    On the other hand, LaVeyan Satanists don’t accept you as a Satanist until you become an adult. They believe teenagers should be exposed to as many philosophies and religious beliefs as possible with critical thinking and they should be free to choose what to believe in.

Yes, faith is good for some people. Some. It depends on the faith.
    Just an example. I recently stumbled upon a community called incels (involuntary celibate). It’s a group of people (I think only males) who believe they can’t get a girlfriend because society thinks that they’re not good enough in some way, especially appearance (which is BS). Instead of improving their lives they choose to write posts about how cruel the world is and how unfair their life is and how bad/stupid/wrong/cheeki/breeki women are. It’s their belief system. Their faith is not good for anyone. Some people lost their lives because of it.

If you’re all positive and if it’s because of your faith, I don’t mind and I’m happy you have it.

Srdceleva
    Participant
    @srdceleva

do you guys not believe in a spiritual world at all or just refuse to believe in organized religions? Ive known for example quite a few people who were involved in witch craft type of practices and they all told me that crap is real. I once had a boss who used to be a former Witch and she told me she gave it all up after a while because of how real that stuff was, she later converted to some form of protestantism.

@Kapitan Denis
    our families influence us in every way its impossible to ask parents to not project on their children. Youre parents make all of the decisions in your life until you are of a reasonable age. Were your parents devout Christian?

Shaokang
    Participant
    @shaokang

@srdceleva
    Whatever has not been completely proved right or wrong I don’t have firm view. You can say I am agnostic. No comment about the witch stuff though.

I’m not a parent but I think the best thing parents can do for their children is to allow them to do things their own way and not to help them over some issues that they can solve by themselves.

NikeBG
    Participant
    @nikebg

I’m a skeptic. F.e. I believe technologically advanced aliens might exist (or not), but I certainly doubt they’re abducting abducting humans, mutilating cattle, making crop circles and giving us free light shows in the skies. I believe “healers”, psychics, mediums, clairvoyants, witches etc. are charlatans, intentionally or not, and their results are either fabricated or just wishful thinking. I am open to them taking up something like Randi’s challenge and proving themselves true though.

Dušan
    Participant
    @dusan

I don’t believe in spiritual world + pretty much what NikeBG said

Srdceleva
    Participant
    @srdceleva

fair enough, just curious about your views. I do believe in a spiritual world but I respect those who dont. There are definitely a lot of religious charlatans out there trying to scam people, same with fortune tellers and such. However, I remember learning about Jeffery Dhamer in my criminal justice class in high school and how they said before he killed someone he would black out and make animal noises (according to an escaped victim and he himself said he never could remember killing the people). Its not hard for me to see an evil and a good in this world. That in itself speaks in favor of a spiritual world imo.

Shaokang
    Participant
    @shaokang

@srdceleva
    Oh yes, by the way, concerning witches:

NikeBG
    Participant
    @nikebg

@shaokang
    Is that a new season? I don’t remember that scene.

Shaokang
    Participant
    @shaokang

@NikeBG
    Its the season 2, but its not new.

Kapitán Denis
    Participant
    @kapitan-denis

@srdceleva

do you guys not believe in a spiritual world at all or just refuse to believe in organized religions?

I don’t really care if it exists or not.

our families influence us in every way its impossible to ask parents to not project on their children. Youre parents make all of the decisions in your life until you are of a reasonable age.

Of course parents make all the decisions in your life when you’re young, but I’m talking about indoctrination. Many parents just pump their own beliefs to their children since the day they’re born. And it’s sad if the first word a child says is “Jesus” instead of “mama”. 😀 I’m just saying parents should teach their children critical thinking. Critical thinking means ability to look at problems from the 3rd person view, or see things from different angles.

Were your parents devout Christian?

My parents never lived a “Christian lifestyle.” They never went to church except if their friends got married there and stuff like that. They never talked with me about their beliefs. My dad has a rosary on his rearview mirror in his car, though. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Petko (the pet store)
  • ▽eurus▽
  • Drizzt
  • ☭Lil Commie☭
  • Shnickstara89