Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

NikeBG
    Participant
    @nikebg

My parents were rather religious, yes. We went to church every Sunday, respectively as a kid I went to Sunday school and then the church’s teenage group (except for the summers, when I had to sit through the whole service like an adult), my dad was also a deacon in the church, member of the church council and on top of that worked for 15 years in a Christian organization. My first real-life contact with Americans was the discussions we/they had with the newly arrived Mormon missionaries in the area (quite polite, even when arguing), followed by a plethora of foreign guests to our church and dad’s organization.
    Still, I guess that comes to show that even if you’re “indoctrinated” as a child, as soon as puberty hits, it doesn’t matter that much anymore – if you’re gonna develop a mind of your own, you’re gonna do it regardless of the doctrines. And vice versa – you might be raised “free”, but end up for some modern New Age mumbo-jumbo cult instead.

Srdceleva
    Participant
    @srdceleva

@NikeBG
    I would like your comment if I could. I agree as long as no one is denied contact with the outside world and the ability to learn about different ideas and views you will make your own decisions as an adult. I just find it amusing that some people think of Christians indoctrinating their children as wrong but they wouldnt hesitate to tell there children God doesnt exist, how stupid religion is etc. Its only indoctrination when it doesnt agree with youre view point.

As Ive mentioned many times before I understand all of your points of views but I find it hard to deny the existence of a spiritual reality. There are definitely charlatans and attention seekers who try to claim supernatural powers or whatever, but then there are many people(saints) who I find genuinely appealing and who have thousands upon thousands of people attesting to their legitimacy. Padre Pio for example is a very remarkable figure who when I read about him doesnt seem to be some kind of charlatan. I mean what did he get out of his life? he wasnt scamming anyone. Also there are so many people who attest to having experienced actual miracles in his presence.

this is a great movie, even if you arent a believer I think anyone could appreciate the acting.

NikeBG
    Participant
    @nikebg

Speaking of movies (about religion), a couple of nights ago I watched a movie called “Silence” (2016, by Martin Scorsese), about the persecution of the Catholics during 17th c. Japan. It was quite an interesting movie.

Olga Kysil
    Participant
    @olga_kysil

Church is relaxing for me. Very Zen. Plus, free food. 😀 If I went to the local Orthodox Church, there is free Bulgarian and Macedonian food after services. I need to check that out sometime! If I went to the local Greek Catholic Church, there are baked goods for sale made by the Eastern Slovak ladies. Can you say Walnut, Poppyseed, Apricot and Prune roll bread? Yes, you can! So yummy in my tummy. 😀 Heck, my Ukrainian grandfather sometimes came home drunk from church, because the Russian priest served vodka after services. At the United Methodist Church, we only got coffee, punch and donuts. 🙁

When I was growing up, my dad always made a big pancake breakfast before going to our United Methodist Church. This got us all hyped up for church. Then, after church, my dad played the Slavic radio station and we sang along to the cheesy Slovenian-American polka music. When we got home: cabbage rolls for dinner! Or, maybe grilled steaks with sauteed mushrooms and corn on the cob. Oh, yeah, baby.

Church: What’s not to like?

Kapitán Denis
    Participant
    @kapitan-denis

@olga_kysil

Heck, my Ukrainian grandfather sometimes came home drunk from church, because the Russian priest served vodka after services.

Meh, krčma is better than church. You drink before the service and it’s you who preaches.

Srdceleva
    Participant
    @srdceleva

@Kapitán Denis
    Im just curious have you ever been to church, I mean to a mass or service?

Kapitán Denis
    Participant
    @kapitan-denis

@srdceleva Yea I have.

Shaokang
    Participant
    @shaokang

I don’t see the point of church today. I guess in older days it was meant to gather, organize and keep the indentity of the people. Perhaps in smaller communities it still has similar purpose. Maybe in your countries its different and church still does that. Also, I literally never had a serious talk with my parents or grandparents about religion, so I’m always a bit surprised when I encounter people willing to project their religious or lifestyle views to their children. Unlike NikeBG, I think when you’re being indoctrinated some part of that “idea” always stays within you, in a way it also forms your character and there is no hard reset button for that. Most of the people I know don’t consider religion important part of their lives.

Dušan
    Participant
    @dusan

@NikeBG exactly. My parents aren’t religious at all, still I went to Sunday church for 8 years (I’d probably go for only a year before confirmation if it wasn’t introduced to schools as an option). We had conversation on beliefs and both of my parents aren’t big fans of organized religions and priests, although my mother is spiritual as @srdceleva would put it. Anyway, my mother has this fear of cults, so she insisted that we get some kind of religious education in order not to fall for that shit. It was only natural to her that we take faith of our father and both my brother and I were christened as babies in our Lutheran church.
    @Shaokang yes, it still serves that purpose in smaller communities…

Srdceleva
    Participant
    @srdceleva

@Kapitán Denis
    what did you go for?

Btw do you guys like churches as buildings. I like wooden churches the best. In central europe they love baroque. Its nice but im not a massive fan, I thinks simple wooden churches are the nicest, but I love icons so Orthdox churches look awsome.

dude, how are you guys addressing people with the @ symbol. It doesnt seem to work for me anymore.

Shaokang
    Participant
    @shaokang

@srdceleva

Hover over the name you want to put under @ sign. For example hover over Kapitán Denis and you’ll see he has been assinged to @kapitan-denis

Srdceleva
    Participant
    @srdceleva

when you mean hover over the name you mean names should pop up right when I use the @ symbol? because nothing pops up, and when I hover over Denis’ name all I see is the option to view his profile.

Dušan
    Participant
    @dusan

@srdceleva it doesn’t work for mentioning the Kapitán because he has two-word name. Same thing with me because of special š. I tried @”Kapitán Denis” like on the old forum, but it doesn’t work.
    I like some churches as buildings of course. Speaking of wooden churches I really liked s Articular churches I visited, especially for their backstory.

Shaokang
    Participant
    @shaokang

I use Firefox, in lower left angle I see a link when I hover over your name: http://www.slavorum.org/members/srdceleva/, so I just use @srdceleva when I need to tag you.

Srdceleva
    Participant
    @srdceleva

@dusan @shaokang I see the link now at the bottom left corner @kapitan-denis should work like this im guessing. Lets see.

alright thanks guys it worked.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Родни Никотин ☭
  • Australian Santa
  • Fia
  • Woodju
  • 'las
  • Yung Slav