• This topic has 25 voices and 96 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

To those who are living outside Slavic countries have you experienced people trying to deny you your heritage? Do you ever have people saying, “You are not from there! You are more Canadian/American/Australian etc”? Does it annoy you and what do you do to handle these attempts to deny you your heritage?

Anonymous

I would guess this is for Slavs who moved west, not for those born in the west

Anonymous

I was actually going to ask about that. Do you want Slavs born in the US or that moved to the US….?

Anonymous

Anonymous
    Quote:

Possibly.. but it's even happened to me. And even worse to some others I know. And none of us were born in our ancestral country.

Anonymous

Even with Slavic heritage,  do most Serbians consider you Slavic or American

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Even with Slavic heritage,  do most Serbians consider you Slavic or American

Here.. I never get called American. Every time I meet someone new and they ask where I'm from. I say America, obviously. They give me strange looks, generally mutter something in Serbian to my boyfriend, and just look at me strangely. They then explain that they didn't believe me because I look Russian/Ukrainian to them. Generally, when I speak in my broken Serbian, people respond to me in Russian if they know it. They don't even ask if I know Russian. They just assume it.

In the US, when asked about my surname I would explain that my family was from today's Ukraine. Then I would hear things either that my family shouldn't be here because we're all a bunch of Commie lovers (though my g. grandfather came to the US in 1912) or that I wasn't beautiful enough to be a Slav, even though I'm mixed.

My friend's sister was told she was nothing but a mail-order bride and he was accused of being a Commie lover, too. A few worse things he has said happened but he never tells me details. Said he doesn't like thinking about it. I think they are things that happened with his little sister.

Anonymous

My ex boyfriend was always asked if I was just a mail-order bride. I don't even speak Ukrainian/Russian or anything.. they'd see my surname and start shit.

Anonymous

So narrowminded people are universal.  It's a shame and. I assume many Serbians are not so closed minded. 

Anonymous
    Quote:
    So narrowminded people are universal.  It's a shame and. I assume many Serbians are not so closed minded.

Actually, no. Serbs really aren't. No one has ever said a bad thing about America to me other than they don't like US government and what has been done by the US government. But I can't blame them. I don't care for US government. They never look down on me because I was born there. They never say nasty things at all.

The Americans though.. they are assholes. I've had cruel things said to me just because of my surname. I wasn't even raised in the culture or anything.. and still have them said. It's ridiculous.

Anonymous

I've never heard of any Australian telling people they should identify as Australian, but I have heard people say to act more Australian. None of this happened to me.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I've never heard of any Australian telling people they should identify as Australian, but I have heard people say to act more Australian. None of this happened to me.

How does one act "more Australian?"

Anonymous

After the Kosovo disasters,  I don't blame Serbs.

Anonymous

Anyone born in North America, it doesn't matter if they are Slav or Chinese, grows a big fat gut, a baseball cap grows out of their head and we all adopt an Obese Anglo look.  ;D

It didn't even matter that I dressed like an "American" in Eastern Europe, most people in Eastern Europe always assumed I was a local or came from a neighbouring Slavic country.  I recall multiple experiences, such as sitting down in restaurants with people from hostels (they were mainly British) and I often was given the local's menu by a waitress and not the English one (unlike everyone else).

It's easy to ridicule anyone of Slavic descent in North America and say we're all Anglos, when that's really not the case.  I know my own story, but there are other Slavs I know here who reported facing prejudice and discrimination over their surname, appearances, et cetera, by the mainstream "white" population which is largely British isles or Western European in background.

Anonymous

I get it like this.  As a kid in Greek Catholic church,  i wasn't Slavic enough because my my dad is Costa rican.  To most Latinos,  i looked too white,  and in Costa Rica,  i was considered an American who could pay everyone's bar tab.  I am 6'4 and they never knew how the hell i got that tall.  The average guy there is 5'7 at the most.

I am used to not fitting any one type and i am planning a trip to Serbia,  Slovakia and Ukraine in two years  so I'm curious what locals will consider me.  Of course an American,  but as an ethnic Slav,  not sure

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Piachu
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • кошка
  • GOGA
  • Glockamole
  • slovborg