• This topic has 9 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

So I saw this posted in a group I follow on Facebook… unfortunately, the map is in Ukrainian (I'm assuming) and I cannot read it. I get what the map is attempting to portray but I'm curious of its accuracy.. The source of this map is here: http://ukrmap.su/ru-uh7/295.html

[img width=700 height=522]http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/539539_435977489781361_744024237_n.jpg”/>

Anonymous

Well, it is wrong concerning South Slavs. Serbs and Croats arrived from Western Slavic lands. Also Slovenes were first to arrive. You had two groups of South Slavs, western (Serbs, Croats, Slovenes) and Eastern (ancestors of Bulgarians and Macedonians) one arrived trough Hungary, other trough modern Romania. At least is conesus of most of Modern historians.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well, it is wrong concerning South Slavs. Serbs and Croats arrived from Western Slavic lands. Also Slovenes were first to arrive. You had two groups of South Slavs, western (Serbs, Croats, Slovenes) and Eastern (ancestors of Bulgarians and Macedonians) one arrived trough Hungary, other trough modern Romania. At least is conesus of most of Modern historians.

That's all I'm going to point out of this statement.

I did figure it was wrong about Southern Slavs but for other reasons. But since I can't read it.. I had no idea in general what was attempting to be taught with this map.

Anonymous

There is no 100% accurate maps. Anyway i read in one book once that we south-west slavs are mixture of Slavic migrators from west (Poland, etc.) and east (Ukraine, etc.) :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    There is no 100% accurate maps. Anyway i read in one book once that we south-west slavs are mixture of Slavic migrators from west (Poland, etc.) and east (Ukraine, etc.) :D

At least that makes more sense than most of the concepts I've heard about.  And you're right.. no map will be 100% accurate.. but I had hoped for something remotely accurate.

Anonymous

Hm, I think it is also wrong concerning Western Slavs, Eastern Slavs and Proto-Slavic Urheimat.
    Povhec, this is les than 50% accurate. No we are not mixture, I allready said there were two streams. And I dont believe Eastern Group was from Ukraine, but rather from Carpathians, for two centuries they resided in Modern Romania, where Byzantines battled with them, and where we got first detailed descriptions of Slavs.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    So I saw this posted in a group I follow on Facebook… unfortunately, the map is in Ukrainian (I'm assuming) and I cannot read it.

As per Tale of Bygone Years written by monk Nestor (one of the earliest sources) the tribe Radimichs arrived to Belarus from central Poland.  Not so according to the map.

Other than that Slavic tribes which took part in ethnogenisis of Belarusian people are correctly placed on the map.

Anonymous

This is the official theory that we are taught in school here:

Slavic urheimat [size=8pt]cca year 300[/size]

Migration [size=8pt]cca year 500[/size]

Migration [size=8pt]cca year 500-600[/size]

Regional settlement [size=8pt]cca year 580-660[/size]

Anonymous

Interesting…

Anonymous
    Quote:

Slavic urheimat [size=8pt]cca year 300[/size]

Migration [size=8pt]cca year 500[/size]

Migration [size=8pt]cca year 500-600[/size]

Regional settlement [size=8pt]cca year 580-660[/size]

These are good maps. Where did you find them? :D But I don't know how accurate it is… I know it is saied Slovenia was settled in two streams. Anyway, those migrations were lasting quite long (so believe I). I read it took some 150 years to settle the area of bigger Slovenia. Do you know how small Slovenia is? So I can only wonder about other parts, lol. ;D

Anonymous

I want to contribute, but unfortunately my memory is in pieces and I don't want to confabulate. Something I remember though about tribal migrations, of academic and (excerpts from ancient) texts I read from brick and mortar schools, other slavic teachers in school… and of course stories I heard as a child… I vaguely remember something about there being evidence that some of these migrations was backwards, this is going to over simplify it; but for example as germanics and slavs actually swapping current locations, that slavs moved from west to east, west to south, and a lot of the slavs in the balkans and in the southeast, actually came from and with other natives surrounding the black sea, and that a great majority slavs mainly came from central europe, not so much russia downwards and outwards… I wish I could remember more details, but this is also something I remember most historians believing and writing about from waaay back in the day…

Anonymous
    Quote:

Cool maps, where u got them? :D

Anonymous

those maps are interesting, siničko, although… why do they show polish lowlands uninhabited by slavs?
    its only logical that if they have been able to settle in mountain valleys, they must have settled in polish lowlands, too. there werent any avars or other crazy horseguys sitting in the middle of those lowlands. afaik.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    those maps are interesting, siničko, although… why do they show polish lowlands uninhabited by slavs?
    its only logical that if they have been able to settle in mountain valleys, they must have settled in polish lowlands, too. there werent any avars or other crazy horseguys sitting in the middle of those lowlands. afaik.

Yeah it's funny but most maps aren't very correct anyways. ;D Maybe it was swampland back then? For example much of LJ "valley" was unihabitated swampland until 18th century. :D Anyways as for Prussian territory it's clear why not. Maybe it's area where archeological finds from that era were found? ???

Anonymous

I've got this one but it seems quite inaccurate.
    [img width=700 height=509]http://plasmon.rghost.ru/43400334/image.png” />

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

8 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Tujev
  • Glockamole
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • ca$hbunni
  • kony97
  • Fia